Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Organizing Scraps >
  • Organizing Scraps

• Organizing Scraps

Old 07-04-2024, 09:41 AM

The Quilted Forest on YouTube has a playlist of 13 different quilts to make from 2.5” strips. Theirs were all scraps left from binding or leftovers from jelly rolls.
    Old 07-05-2024, 04:42 AM

I have watched the Quilted Forrest videos but sadly or maybe joyously, I don't have that abundance of 2.5" strips. I found that as the videos progress she does begin to create more intricate designs. But simple or intricate, the idea is to use those precious small pieces of fabric to create a quilt top by moving the strips out of bins in into the hands of someone who can enjoy the snuggle of a quilt.

Simple, laid-back directions that are easy to follow.
    Old 07-07-2024, 05:02 PM

I have my scraps sorted by color and they are folded (somewhat) neatly to minimize pressing. I elected not to try cutting into standard sizes because I don’t normally do scrappy quilts and I thought it might be more useful to have a large chunk of fabric than several small squares. My only exception to that is when I get pieces less than 2.5” wide I will cut those into smaller pieces that are 1.5” or 1.75” wide to use in Pineapple blocks.

I think if you know you will use particular sizes of scraps, you will save yourself time in the long run by cutting them into those sizes while you are already cutting the other pieces.