Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Organizing your stash >
  • Organizing your stash

• Organizing your stash

Old 12-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Not at my home depot. I checked 3 different stores in town along with the sign shops. Nothing. :(
    Old 12-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Mine is sorted by which pile I can add it to without the whole thing falling over. I still have some boxes of fabric I moved here with hriu'gihf years ago cause the movers put them in the closet. I am planning to move my sewing room to my bedroom and my bedroom to what is now my sewing room cause it takes much less room to sleep than it does to quilt. I have molted into my dining room and living room so maybe I should just find another house to live in.
    Old 12-18-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by crankygran
    Mine is sorted by which pile I can add it to without the whole thing falling over..
    Some of mine is sorted that way too. It's like a game. A twisted one.
    Old 12-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Gale I use Ploar Notions plastic organizing boards to try to get my stash together. They are a nice hard plastic so you don't have the flimzy problem.
    I got them at polarnotions.com
    I tried the other coragated oranizing boards but wasn't as impressed with them.
    What I like is that you can stack ou fabric on end like they do on bolts in the fabric stores so you can see what you have like books on shelves.
    Hope this is a help .
    Merry Christmas kjym Kathy
    Old 12-18-2010, 04:29 PM

I use the polar notion plastic boards to fold my stash on and think they are great. you can buy them at polarnotions.com .
    That way you can put your fabric on end like they do at the fabric shops on the bolts. I have a cabinet with glass doors that I got at the Ikea store so they all stay nice and dust free and it looks like alot of colorful books on the shelves.
    Before using these and the cabinets I had all my fabric sorted in plastic bins. but it always seemed that the one I wanted was at the bottom of the pile and those bins get very heavy to pile and unpile.
    I love the cabinet /Bookshelf idea it sure saves the back from lifting and bending.
    Also the one cabinet I have has drawers on the lower half so I have my Fat Quarters sorted standing on end so I can see the edges so that is really great also.
    Have a Merry Christmas kjym Kathy
    Old 12-18-2010, 04:35 PM

My stash is, for the most part, by color. But also divide them out by fabrics from one line stored in a bin drawer labeled "sets." Another drawer for "Children." Another labeled, "Themes," which holds animal prints, beach, food, etc..." Another bin drawer holds aunt grace type fabric. Another hold flannel. But the bulk is sorted by color on not-tall-enough bookcase with glass doors. I also have a basket that holds charms.
    Old 12-18-2010, 05:07 PM

I have managed to sort my fabric in several sections;

Future quilts; I keep a pile of fabric for future quilts because I don't always have all the fabric at once, so I buy as I have money and eventually end up with enough to make that particular quilt. I have at least 7 future quilts.

Kids prints in one pile, with smaller pieces on top. All folded neatly. All my fabric is piled vertically since I never got to make those cards to store them horizontally.

Whites, creams, beiges
    Dark prints
    Light prints
    Florals
    Plaids
    baskets for scraps; reds/oranges, blues/purples, blacks, whites/beige, greens, browns.

And it is all stacked neatly on my 4'x7' wooden bookcase my husband made specifically for my fabric. I don't know exactly how I came to this sorting, but it works for me. I know every fabric I have because I ironed, folded, stacked and sorted all of it. At one time, I even reorganized it because something just didn't look right. I also have a whole other shelf for blends. That's a must since I won't put any of those in my quilts. I usually reserve that fabric for making new doggie beds or something the kids want. And I keep all my clippings and stuff it into a plastic bag so I can save for a new doggie bed. Why throw it out if I can use it there.

I really don't know if there is any one system that suits every quilter out there. We each have our own needs and what works for me may seem completely unorganized to someone else.
    Old 12-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by keolika
    I loved the question about how much material in your stash and the answers were varied, but I have been quilting for less than a year and am building my stash, Now what I am wondering is what it the best way to organize your stash. I seem sort of scattered. Should it be by color only, size of remnant, what are the best storage containers? I will be interested to see how others do it.Thanks for your help, I am getting lots of help and ideas from this board. Rita
    Best way I found, is hiding it from my husband - however 6 large totes in the middle of the room, is sometimes hard to explain
    Old 12-18-2010, 05:34 PM

I do it three ways. I go by color, and then theme such as Oriental, Christmas, kid fabric, Batiks, etc, and then a basket of scraps. Jan
    Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 PM

I can't seem to get a system working for me. I started out by color and size, now its all a jumble again after auditioning fabrics for quilts. Go figure