Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To our Australian Friends >
  • To our Australian Friends

• To our Australian Friends

Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM

Default To our Australian Friends

Gday to you all,

Well I am coming down to Melbourne very soon to visit my grandkids. I was there for 5 months last year. The only place that I found that had materials, yarns, and crafts was Linders (I think that is the name) any ways.......Do you all have places you can recommend that I can get to by tram, bus or train.
    I don't mind taking the train to the towns outside of Melbourne. My daughter lives in North Melbourne near the Royal Children's Hospital.

Thank you so much

Barb
    Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Hi Barb-we were down in Melbourne a couple years ago for a week (we live part-time in Vanuatu) and I found the bus/tram service really convenient. I might warn you about the prices of fabric, though-they were really high then, but worse now when you take into consideration the exchange rate now. The Aussie $ is really strong compared to the US$ so I would think quilting fabric will cost close to $25.00- $30.00/mtr in US$!! A couple of people I know that live in Australia always buy on-line (sites that will ship overseas) from the US. Just saying-------you might be shocked at the prices-just remember the exchange rate! Have a great time, though! It is still fun to shop and maybe you'll find a good sale!
    Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM
    Power Poster

Maybe empty out a suitcase and bring fabric with you. At that price you could do a brisk business out of your suitcase! Just kidding but I would pick up some Australian fabric for a momento of your stay.
    Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM

Hi Barb,

A couple of my favourite shops are 'Patchwork on CentralPark' which is in East Malvern, you can get there by tram, last tram stop, cross the road and you are at the shop. 'Patchwork House' in Hawthorn, get there by Tram No 48, takes you right to the door.

Or you could dash across Bass Strait and I will take you to the awesome quilt shops in Tassie
    Old 01-17-2012, 02:50 PM

Hi Barb, You could look up the yellow pages phone book when you get here and you should be able to find lots of quilting and craft shops. Don't forget Spotlight too, there must be at least one in Melbourne. Also you could take the overnight train to Adelaide and I'll take you to the shops here!!

P.S. We've got a spare room!
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lynnie25
    Hi Barb,

A couple of my favourite shops are 'Patchwork on CentralPark' which is in East Malvern, you can get there by tram, last tram stop, cross the road and you are at the shop. 'Patchwork House' in Hawthorn, get there by Tram No 48, takes you right to the door.

Or you could dash across Bass Strait and I will take you to the awesome quilt shops in Tassie
    Oh I do plan on a dash over to Tassie.
    Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs B
    Hi Barb, You could look up the yellow pages phone book when you get here and you should be able to find lots of quilting and craft shops. Don't forget Spotlight too, there must be at least one in Melbourne. Also you could take the overnight train to Adelaide and I'll take you to the shops here!!

P.S. We've got a spare room!
    wow, Australians are so nice. I would love to come to Adelaide. I'll see how long I am staying and maybe take you up on your offer.

Barb
    Old 01-17-2012, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2
    Oh I do plan on a dash over to Tassie.
    Definitely let me know if you are coming to Tassie as I would love to meet you.
    Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 PM

Oh please let me know if you have time to come to Adelaide, you may even be able to get a cheap flight and it will only take about an hour to get here. I'd love to meet you and take you to some quilt shops here.
    Mary