Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Our Joann's is CLOSING! :( >
  • Our Joann's is CLOSING! :(

• Our Joann's is CLOSING! :(

Old 04-13-2011, 07:05 AM

Ours closed a long time ago, then Wal-Mart stopped selling fabric, so we have to travel to buy our fabric or order online.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    DH heard it on the radio today-they'll be closing around July. A few years ago they were going to close and a big letter writing campaign kept them open. Now that they're under new ownership that probably won't work. This is the only place to buy fabric and decent thread and notions within an hour's drive. :
    Be sure to go to their final sale, 1-2 weeks before they actually close. One of ours here closed and the last 1 they had 75% off all fabric. You had to buy it by the bolt but what a great buy. I bought over $2,500 worth of fabric and only paid $300.

They take it off the last discounted price so some of the fabric I bought was already discounted 30-50% off then I got another 75% off.
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 AM

Have you tried their on-line shopping?
    Old 04-13-2011, 07:57 AM

Our local store closed only to open a larger store...as well as Idaho Falls opened a new superstore. When I worked for them they were planning on enlarging something like 2500 stores across the nation...and you wouldn't believe how many people in our town thought they were closing...instead of just moving to a larger location...sales will be great as others have said!
    Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    DH heard it on the radio today-they'll be closing around July. A few years ago they were going to close and a big letter writing campaign kept them open. Now that they're under new ownership that probably won't work. This is the only place to buy fabric and decent thread and notions within an hour's drive. Our walmart quit selling fabric a long time ago and if they start again, great for people who buy it there but they won't sell Schmetz needles, Gutermann thread, Omni, etc. I don't buy a lot of fabric at Joanns but I do buy some and I get a lot of other things there. Not happy at all. And I just got my educator's discount card too. :thumbdown:
    Well, there's always online shopping at Joann's.
    Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM

I would keep an eye open, you might get some good buys when they try to sell down, you will have to stock up.

Or maybe, take the plunge and open your own fabric/quilting store.
    Old 04-13-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
    Our (not so) local Joanns closed only to open a bigger store in the complex next door.

Maybe just MAYBE they will open a bigger store. Esp. since there is no other fabric stores around!

However when they close watch for AWESOME sales!
    That is what's happening here in Salem, OR - they have a small store and then a fairly large store across town, and they are closing both of them and opening a big store in a shopping mall.

Marysewfun
    Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM

Geez....I would be going nuts if I heard our JoAnn's was closing! Our WalMart quit selling fabric a few years ago so I don't bother going there unless I just can't do without something they sell. I sincerely doubt if we ever get a super JoAnn's here. I love the one in Klamath Falls but only get there once a year if that.
    Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 AM

I would be upset too! I like to see my fabric and feel it. Sometimes online just doesn't cut it.
    Old 04-13-2011, 11:25 AM

Honestly if I have to shop online, Joann's will be the last place I choose. I've had more problems with orders from there than all other sites put together and their customer service has been incredibly rude (still have the emails to prove it). But like I said I have nothing against shopping online (just ask my poor overworked UPS man) but sometimes if I need a spool of thread or a needle to finish a project, I don't want to wait days or pay for shipping just for that. I spend more money shopping online because I want to justify the shipping cost so I buy more.