Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Out of Curiosity..... >
  • Out of Curiosity.....

• Out of Curiosity.....

Old 07-05-2009, 10:22 PM

The more the quilting information, the better it is!!
    :D :D :D :D :D
    Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 AM
    Administrator

Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I go into performance and maintenance
    and under there it says free up hard disk space and I use that, this is all that I know how to do for it. Patricia, how does it let you know?
    there's a difference between "memory (RAM)" and "storage (drives)". memory is separate from the hard drive. it functions as part of the computer's brain. the computer will also set aside some space on the hard drive ("virtual memory") to supplement the regular memory. if you ask it to perform a task that the regular memory alone can't handle, it swaps information back and forth between RAM and that space on the hard drive. (think of the difference between doing a math problem all "in your head" and needing to also get out pencil and paper to work it out.)

the only time the amount of data you have stored on your hard drive becomes an issue is if you have nearly filled the drive. then the computer can't find enough space to use as virtual memory. that can slow things down because the computer can't do as much "in its head" and also can't find enough paper to work it out.

a computer can get sloggy if the hard drive is simply too cluttered. but that does not necessarily mean there are too many files stored on it. it usually just means they need to be reorganized.

when we put our files into folders and cabinets, we store the whole file altogether in one piece. a computer doesn't do that. it finds the first available chunk of free space on the drive and starts writing the file. if that chunk isn't big enough for the whole file, the computer writes what will fit then looks for the next chunk of free space to write more. one file can be stored in bits and pieces all over the place. the computer keeps track of where all those bits and pieces are so it appears to be all together whenever you open it.

suppose you had 57 pairs of shoes. well, any woman can tell you ... that is nowhere near too many pairs of shoes. puleeze! if they're all nicely organized and paired, you can find just the right shoes in a flash. BUT if they're all in piles all over the house, it can take quite a bit longer to fish through all of it to find both shoes.

so, every so often, users should perform a utility function called "defragmentation". (in windows, you'll find it under accessories/system tools) when you "defrag" the hard drive, the computer sifts through everything and reorganizes it. it finds all the bits and pieces and then reorganizes them into whole files stored "contiguously". (it matches the pairs of shoes and lines them up again.)

you can also run "disk cleanup" to get rid of all the junk files ... temporary files, files that haven't been used in ages and ages ... etc. the cleanup program will prevent you with a list of suggestions about what it could/should delete.

the defrag process first runs cleanup and then reorganizes.

there are also other reasons a computer might slow down. trying to run the newest programs on an old computer; trying to run programs that need more RAM than you have; the list goes on. if you never install or use the most up-to-date versions of your programs, it will usually serve you well for many years. but, if you want to install the gee-wizzy stuff, a computer more than three years old is more or less an electric paperweight.
    Old 07-06-2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
    I have tons saved in my computer, not to mention all that I print off! I go through quite a bit of paper and ink! lol!!!! :lol: :lol:
    Hey!!! ya want to go in on some stock with these companies with me??? I have lots printed out too :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol:
    Y'all are talking about me, aren't you? I do try to back up stuff on thumb drives or cds, but gosh there's so much to see, do, and save! Let's build our own Quilting Save Board!!! I don't have time to look through all the CDs, thumb drives, or books (although I've filled quite a few notebooks with printed patterns and how-tos) I WANT TO QUILT, not organize. Now how bad is this???
    :lol: :shock: :roll: :? :wink:
    Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks, Patricia, going to check all this out, know I've done both before, I have several on read later and on Bookmark.
    My computer just turned 3 years old, but have only used it a lot since January. I do get updates though , so will have to check that out also. Never did download Vista, still on the other and use Fire fox,
    Mly son is a wizard at this stuff, has a degree, but I have always wanted to know how to do things myself, while I'm still young enough to learn1 LOL
    I tend to bookmark things more than download them< or print them out. My concern is that It will crash and I will loose everything. But, have over 60o/o left I think!
    Old 07-06-2009, 06:16 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mimisharon
    Originally Posted by amma
    Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
    I have tons saved in my computer, not to mention all that I print off! I go through quite a bit of paper and ink! lol!!!! :lol: :lol:
    Hey!!! ya want to go in on some stock with these companies with me??? I have lots printed out too :roll: :oops: :lol: :lol:
    Y'all are talking about me, aren't you? I do try to back up stuff on thumb drives or cds, but gosh there's so much to see, do, and save! Let's build our own Quilting Save Board!!! I don't have time to look through all the CDs, thumb drives, or books (although I've filled quite a few notebooks with printed patterns and how-tos) I WANT TO QUILT, not organize. Now how bad is this???
    :lol: :shock: :roll: :? :wink:
    mimisharon, you captured my creative essesence, with your last statement. I feel like I am a busy person, and most of it, is with cleaning and organizing, my organizations! eee-yah!
    I try to be a little choosy, what I keep, but, no sense in trying to fight something that your wired to love. I am one of those ppl, that actually does go back to something saved, and I DO use it, and am glad I did.
    Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 AM
    Banned

Hubby bought me a HUGE GB external hardrive for my bday last year, so I keep everything on that. ALSO I have them all on cds.
    Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 AM

i have everything on a flash drive... all you do is plug it into the computer. it's even good if you want to take it with you to on use on a lap top...it's smaller than a lipstick
    Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 AM

My computer is old enough that it still has Windows 98. At least a year ago we purchased an external hard drive at Walmart. I am sure it was less than $50. A lot cheaper than a new computer. It holds at least 100 times what my computer does. I store all kinds of things on it and there is still 90% of it's memory space left. Besides quilt related stuff I have scads of pictures and music that my husband has downloaded or copied from CDs from the library etc.
    Old 07-06-2009, 11:24 AM

I have a simple backup that comes on once a week to see if I want a backup which I always do. But I still don't know what it is backing up except pictures. Mine is called Bounceback.
    Old 07-06-2009, 11:28 AM

I forgot to add that I keep all pertinent info like addresses of sites and all email in a small notebook. When our computer crashed it really came in handy to find my info. The tech we had was able to save the pics, address book and favorites which I was grateful for. I have called Microsoft before and the tech there told me to be sure to use Windows Updates and it will protect your computer. FYI
    Darlene