Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Out of Curiosity..... >
  • Out of Curiosity.....

• Out of Curiosity.....

Old 07-07-2009, 03:53 AM

Now, I am going to rethink how I store things on my pc. I download quilt pics and files so much, it is taking over my pc I think
    Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
    Power Poster

I have everything in my flash drive. I take it out of the hard drive. It is so handy and weighs less than a small Mounds candy bar. They can be purchased in 2,4,8, or 16 GB. In fact I have several and one is JUST for quilting stuff.
    Old 07-07-2009, 09:33 AM
    Power Poster

I did buy a 8 GB thumb drive and it filled up sooooo fast :shock: My brother is going to check that out...he said that no way it should have filled up that quickly....not with what I had told him I had downloaded to to it :roll: If there is a way to mess something up computer wise, I'm the one to do it :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm thinking it may have been because my pics are all taken on the very best quality and that makes the files larger?? Maybe I would have better luck just using it for quilt related files..... :? :lol:
    Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
    Power Poster

Yes, amma it could be that each picture could take a toll on the memory. I had a problem with one of my drives and hubby had to empty it and I had to start over. I am thankful that I also have everything backed up on disk.
    Old 07-09-2009, 06:12 AM

Every picture, hints or quilt pattern that I would love to make is downloaded. I started this year and my file just gets larger and larger! I do backup to an external drive that I have. I used to print out all the patterns and put in a binder, but it just go so large so now I store everything on the computer and just print out when it's something I going to make soon!
    Old 07-10-2009, 02:25 AM

Well, now that I've read through this thread, I'm wondering just how computer illiterate I really am. I don't have a clue as to what has been discussed. As far as acquiring something to store what has been stored....what?????????????? :lol:
    Old 07-10-2009, 03:53 AM

Not only is my computer loaded with quilting files, I also have huge amounts of embroidery files that I have either downloaded at free sites or purchased!

My problem is that I have a laptop that I always use, a desktop that I use for bills etc and an old old machine in my sewing room for my 4D software. I have solved the storage problem with an external hard drive. It is USB and I can plug it into any computer I am using.

Here is a BIG caution however. Just remember that the bigger the hard drive the more files you could use if it dies. I only mention that because it can happen. I actually burn files to CD's that I do not want to loose (especially my embroidery files that I have purchased on line) and put them aside. I use the external all the time for storage/retrival and I use the thumb drives for transfer only ( I tend to place things like my thumb drives "safely away" :oops: and then after have problems locating them (lol) ) .
    Old 07-10-2009, 05:08 AM
    Power Poster

Thanks for all the info. Guess this is another bookmark for me!! :lol: :lol: I'm going to look at some of the online backup resources and get a couple more thumb discs for embroidery patterns and quilting stuff. I tend to jam up stuff with soooo many pictures!
    Old 07-10-2009, 06:38 AM

I have a lot on mine and it is getting closer and closer to being filled up. Like you, I want to keep it where I can access it quickly. I do back up to cds and it is a pain. Should think abt. getting an external drive, also. I have way more saved than I will ever be able to make. I just can't help myself! If God would make a deal with me not to take me until I get all the things made that I have downloaded patterns for, I would be here a very long time!
    Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
    Amma, I'm right there with you. My husband ( a true computer geek) is looking at adding an additional hard drive because of my quilting programs, pictures, patterns, etc. I, for one, don't think it's a bad thing.
    Sounds like a good idea. How do I do it?