Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Outside the Box 'Quilt' Material >
  • Outside the Box 'Quilt' Material

• Outside the Box 'Quilt' Material

Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 AM

Think back to the quilts of old (crazy quilts)- they used whatever fabrics that were available and it worked out fine! Depending on the fabrics, you may have to adjust a bit, but use whatever you want. If the flag is very thin or you use a t-shirt, simply interface them. Also, quilts that I have made for my hunter/fishermen that I know will be in the truck, on the boat and generally well used, I tend to do a bit of extra stitching to go along with the extra use!
    Old 03-10-2018, 07:32 AM

If you want something extremely durable, upcycle blue jeans. You could do a jeans quilt with nascar fabrics....maybe even "one" t-shirt with his favorite driver in the center. I also use men's 100% cotton shirts, men's neckties, and anything else that fits the bill at the time. Best wishes.
    Old 03-10-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    I told my husband last year that if they made Dale Earnhardt Jr fabric that I'd have a pillow case out of it to rest my weary little head on.....he's just the cutest thing alive ( outside of my husband). I think the NASCAR association missed the boat on the millions that fabric would bring in for them.
    Linda, about 15 years ago there was a series of Nascar race fabrics, and at that time I recall that you could get Dale Jr. in both an allover print and in pillow panels. Maybe you can find some on Ebay or on missingfabrics.com.
    Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 AM

I chickened out and decided to go very simple so I can practice some of my skills. (quilting, appliqué, diy bias tape, hand embroidery, etc.)
    Then when this one is ready to retire, I'll try bigger!

Assuming this posts ok so you can see what I'm talking about, I'm going to try hand embroidering the name, I'm going to make a white with/ black stitching appliqué for the #2, and then do appliqués for the flags.

I'm so very thankful for all of your input!! What a wonderful community I've found
    Attached Files