Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Overlock Fear >
  • Overlock Fear

• Overlock Fear

Old 05-07-2011, 05:25 AM

Same suggestion as two others here. just tie threads together before you run out. I do that all the time.
    Old 05-07-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    perhaps take it in to get it "tuned up" so the tensions are right -

I really do like my serger - but threading it is a challenge and getting the tensions right can also be challenging
    I have an old model serger (from the eighties), but it still works like a charm. When the tensions seems to be out of whack to where I can't tweek it myself, I take it in and tell him what fabrics I usually use, he gets it set and going again. This occurs every four or five years...usually after I've serged on extra heavy fabric.

And as for the threading, you'll get used to it and it'll come naturally after a while. I have never been successful in doing the "tying of the threads" thing.
    Old 05-07-2011, 05:32 AM

It really helps if you have a video, DVD or something visual to get you started. Mine came with a video and I have watched it MANY times!
    Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 AM
    Swap Hosts

YAY!!!!!

And BOOOOOO!!!!!

Well, my son got it working. He figured out what was wrong -- the stitch plate is missing. The only thing I can do is a rolled hem, but we tried it out on heavy cotton for dish towels and it worked just fine. Also terrific on embroidered chiffon and lace fabrics, so I'm happy. Sort of.

Now to see if I can find that part online.

And I'll be sure to call the estate sale ladies to let them know it's missing. I had to drive there twice when I first bought it because they forgot to put the power cord and foot pedal in the box. 84 miles round trip. Times two. Grrrrrrrr.

But ... YAYYYYYY!
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 AM

Mine is just a cheap White I got on sale at Hancock's when they went out of business in my town. They showed me how to thread it and all that stuff, but when I got it home and tried to rethread it, I felt like you. I was almost in tears, but I was determined. I worked all day long trying to get that thing threaded; mine came with a dvd so I would watch and rewatch and rewatch. Finally, it all came together. Now I have no trouble threading it. Good luck and patience, patience.
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Singer Overlock at an estate sale. It has the directions, extra needles and thread. I even got some more thread at Joann a week ago. Here's the problem. I am so intimidated by this thing. Just looking through the manual made my head hurt. My son was kind enough to thread it for me, but now ... eeek! I'm terrified of it. Too many tension dials. Too many options. Help!
    I was intimidated by my serger, a My Lock, until I took it to the repair shop and the repairman who tuned it up said, "Now that it works, you will love it." He was right. What's more, I've learned to thread it. It really is pretty easy if you go slowly and follow the directions. Keep in mind that I am no spring chicken--just a really tough old bird who decided that no machine was going to defeat me.

Once you show that machine who is boss, you will love it. froggyintexas
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:20 AM

It isn't as bad as it seems! You can master this machine. You are powerful. You are the boss!
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 AM

Tell the machine you are in charge, do not let it know you are afraid of it....it will sense it and know... I think the hardest part about any serger is its speed. it goes fast.....so really try to keep the speed down, look for the cutting blades and maybe disingage it to begin with....go slow and stay in control. they are great machines to have....
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:45 AM

I bought my Singer serger about 30 years ago. I love it a lot, an use it frequently. Mostly I overlock the seams on playclothes I make for DGD, but I also roll hem napkins, and do a ton more. I overlock any and all seams that will be exposed in the wash. Different thread tensions are used for different purposes. Keep the book handy and turn to the page that has what you want to do each time you use it. It really isn't as complicated as it looks.
    Old 05-07-2011, 07:08 AM

I,too have an overlock/serger & feel guilty eveytime I think of it. I did find a book on Amazon that came highly recommended called The Ultimate Serger Answer Guide - Troubleshooting for any Overlock Brand or Model. The pictures and solutions seem very straightforward! Now I just have to heft the machine out & work my way through it!
    Debbie Stair