Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Overlock Fear >
  • Overlock Fear

• Overlock Fear

Old 05-07-2011, 11:23 AM

You may find a video tutorial online for this machine. I've heard so many people say that once the fear is overcome that you/ we will love our sergers.

My hubby got me a Husqvarna serger last year and I still have NOT used it ... also scared of it and I DO have a tutorial dvd that came with it.

I feel your angst!
    Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 PM

I Love my old Singer 3-thread serger. It will serge or do a rolled hem. That's all I need. You do have to thread mine in order from right to left, or it will not stitch. Also, I loosen all my tensions (remember your setting numbers) and pull threads through when changing threads. I wish I could be there to play with it with you, but you're a long way from TX! Don't be scared--just experiment and try not to chop off anything important! :)
    Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Dear Krystyna-
    It's time to find your inner strength and confidence. My husband bought me a serger and so as not to disappoint him I forged ahead with videos from the web and with 2 books. I made a journal and put red/blue/yellow and green threads on my 4-thread serger and then went through the books saving the samples in the journal. It was the only way for me to learn. Now I LOVE it. I use rolled-hem edging to make 12 napkins in an evening!
    I don't know what kind of sewing you prefer but I am sure that if you just find the courage, the right web tutorials and the time to practice, you will have the confidence you need to take on many projects that will be made easier by the serger.
    You do need to practice. Just like free-motion quilting, you can't just sit down at your machine and create a feathered masterpiece.
    You will not enjoy it at first but with mastery comes joy.
    DO NOT GIVE THE MACHINE AWAY without trying. You will regret it...
    Best of luck - Judy
    Old 05-07-2011, 12:52 PM

I feel your pain. I bought a Husqvarna Designer SE LE and let it sit for two years because I was so intimidated by it. Now I just sit down and sew on it. BUT the serger I bought at the same time is still in the box.
    Old 05-07-2011, 01:55 PM

I used to be afraid also. Then a lovely lady from my sewing group agreed to start a Serger Club. Each month she has a project ready and we serge to complete it. The sewing center helps with all models for threading, etc. Our next project is a pillow with cording and a zipper. It is great fun and now I can sew with four needles or three needles. I hope all who have a fear of this wonderful machine will find the good fortune that I have.
    Old 05-07-2011, 01:56 PM

I used to be afraid also. Then a lovely lady from my sewing group agreed to start a Serger Club. Each month she has a project ready and we serge to complete it. The sewing center helps with all models for threading, etc. Our next project is a pillow with cording and a zipper. It is great fun and now I can sew with four needles or three needles. I hope all who have a fear of this wonderful machine will find the good fortune that I have.
    Old 05-07-2011, 02:09 PM

they spook me too -- I gave my Viking 936 to my daughter but UPS smashed the thing to bits and won't pay for it enven though it was insured. Corporate says is the franchised local store's fault and the store says it's corporate's fault. So much for a serger in my family... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    Old 05-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
    they spook me too -- I gave my Viking 936 to my daughter but UPS smashed the thing to bits and won't pay for it even though it was insured. Corporate says is the franchised local store's fault and the store says it's corporate's fault. So much for a serger in my family... :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    Old 05-07-2011, 02:11 PM

I have a old serger and have th change the tensions for different material. I have learnt to write in the manual what type of material (even attach a small sample) and what the tension settings are. This has helped me not have the adjust and adjust the tension everytime. I don't use mine must any more but I used it alot when my grandchildren were small. I made all their sweats and pajamas. Also Kay Wood has a 6 hour quilt made with a serger.
    Old 05-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Hint: when you need to change out the thread for a different color, don't pull the threads out. Instead, cut them right above the cone. Put the new color cones in place & tie the ends of the old color & the new color with a half-hitch knot. Pull on the other ends of the old color until you get to a needle or any other place where the little knot won't go through. Cut the threads apart & thread that remaining place. Makes threading soooo much easier.