Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Overlock Fear >
  • Overlock Fear

• Overlock Fear

Old 05-07-2011, 02:25 PM

I don't rember the real name but there is a book called something like- know your serger. Serging concoured. Someone else on the board is sure to know it
    Old 05-07-2011, 02:27 PM

I just started sewing about a year ago. I took a class and took my sewing machine out of the box. It is a Janome Harmony or Memory Craft 5700. I had bought it on eBay (new, in the box) and was scared to use it. I remembered trying to sew as a teen and I couldn't control the gas pedal, lol, Nothing but problems. But, I digress. When I started hanging out in the classes I said I wanted to learn to sew because I wanted to make T-shirts and nightgowns out of stretchy material (I've since learned it's called "knit") I was told sergers work great for that. So I checked out the model my sewing teacher recommended: http://www.amazon.com/Brother-1034D-...L?pageNumber=2
    I saw it got great reviews. I mentioned it to hubby and he bought it as a surprise for me (I had told him I needed to learn to sew first.) at costco.com and it was only $175.00. I took a serger class with her. Much of the class was spent trying to get another student's Babylock to thread right.

To make a long story short (oh, too late). It is easy to thread, the diagram is right there. I learned you can use dental floss loops to get the upper to go under the lower, or however that goes, while threading.

Bottom line. I serged a pillowcase and a cover for the serger and have not used it since. I am scared too!

I agree being mechanically inclined would help. My hubby is a mechanic. I showed him how to thread it way back when and asked him to remember.
    Old 05-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Take a deep breath and slowly blow out.... relax
    they aren't that terrifying...
    1. Are there color on the tension knobs?
    Yes? Is there a coordinating colored line or dots at each thread point? Yes? .... follow the colored lines or dots... = machine threaded.
    NO?= open the manual and start with the far right thread and make your own dots with nail polish (bright hideous colors so they don't blend in ) after the polish has dried, follow your dots.
    Old 05-07-2011, 04:12 PM

I've owned a Singer over locker for about 27 years. Don't be intimidated. It's only a machine and comes with an off button.
    Have to admit mine doesn't get a lot of use these days but quilts don't need over locking. Still I do use it for the drawstring bags I make for a charity if the fabric will fray, and also on the occasional garment I still make.
    Old 05-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Sorry I seem to have double posted.
    Old 05-07-2011, 05:56 PM

I received a new self-threading serger and it is at my Mom's and I have never used it. She makes quilt labels for our group with the serger.
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:28 PM

It is color coded but I remember one thread has to go under or over the other.
    Old 05-07-2011, 06:57 PM

I think if you google there will be some video on surger's I know that there is one on the bernina site all serger are just about the same as far a tension go's
    Old 05-08-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
    Hint: when you need to change out the thread for a different color, don't pull the threads out. Instead, cut them right above the cone. Put the new color cones in place & tie the ends of the old color & the new color with a half-hitch knot. Pull on the other ends of the old color until you get to a needle or any other place where the little knot won't go through. Cut the threads apart & thread that remaining place. Makes threading soooo much easier.
    BOING!! That's why I haven't succeeded in using this method. My knots won't go through the needle. Thanks for a great tip!!
    Old 05-08-2011, 07:12 PM

A serger is a must if you sew garments. It cuts down on allot of the sewing. The tutorials sound good but some of the sewing machine shops give workshops. You will love this if you can overcome the fear of it.