Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Overlock Fear >
  • Overlock Fear

• Overlock Fear

Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM

My DH threads mine for me. It drives me nuts. You need twizzers and alot of good light. I have a Bermette made for Bernina Fun Lock 006D. it is an older 4 thread serger I bought at a good price from a friend who did not use it anymore. It helps me out alot. I do dumb things like get the blind for the window cord tangled in the thread or push all the thread things down and forget to put them up when I use it. I don't know way they are so hard to thread, I have to turn it upside down to see what I am doing and the book diagrams are so little. What a mess. They have new sergers that thread themselves. They are about 7 or 8 grand.
    Old 05-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
    ..but UPS smashed the thing to bits and won't pay for it even though it was insured. Corporate says is the franchised local store's fault and the store says it's corporate's fault.
    You should contact your local better business bureau, or in the town from where it was shipped. This is a national company, they should make this right! Keep your receipt for the shipping & insurance.

I once sent an antique cradle (100+ years in the family), disassembled and very carefully packed in a 3/4" plywood box my dad made (a carpenter who made beautiful solid furniture). The box was glued & screwed like a tank. It was so heavy he put it on wheels, then reinforced the corners with metal corner braces. We insured it to go UPS ground. When it made it cross-country, they left an open-topped cardboard box on my porch with all the cradle pieces, even the lag bolts to assemble it...not one piece of fabric it was wrapped in, nor one piece of wood, wheels, etc. was included. Just unbelievable! I called them when I got home for a claim on the insurance, as it had gotten all scratched up. I got estimates for refinishing...they paid me $400; the full insured value since refinishing antiques with original type finishes are very expensive. I never made a claim on the beautiful custom box for the cradle on wheels with plated corners. I figure someone along the way either wanted that box or really wanted to see what was inside & ruined it.
    Old 05-09-2011, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    My DH threads mine for me. It drives me nuts. You need twizzers and alot of good light. I have a Bermette made for Bernina Fun Lock 006D. it is an older 4 thread serger I bought at a good price from a friend who did not use it anymore. It helps me out alot. I do dumb things like get the blind for the window cord tangled in the thread or push all the thread things down and forget to put them up when I use it. I don't know way they are so hard to thread, I have to turn it upside down to see what I am doing and the book diagrams are so little. What a mess. They have new sergers that thread themselves. They are about 7 or 8 grand.
    I know they are challenging, but if you have the little threading tool to thread the lower looper, it shouldn't be a problem to do the threading. My serger is 25 years old and I can still get the threading device at places that sell sewing notions. Good lighting is a requirement, but it shouldn't be necessary to have to turn your machine upside down to get the job done. Would it be possible for you to bring the serger to a sewing center for someone to teach you to thread it. Also, does your manual say if you need a tool to help with the threading? Good luck and happy serging.
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:22 AM

I've never had a serger, but when I have trouble threading my regular machine, I tie the new thread onto the old and pull it through, then thread the needle.
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
    Well, I guess I'll give it a whirl. I'm not at all sure about the different stitches and using 3 needles vs. 4, etc. but what can happen?
    Check on youtube. They had several tutorials for my new (old) machine. Good luck.
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:23 PM

I used to think I had to see to thread the needle. The best tip I found, which is true -- ALL needles have a groove above the eye. If you just slide the thread along the needle it will fall in there.
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
    I used to think I had to see to thread the needle. The best tip I found, which is true -- ALL needles have a groove above the eye. If you just slide the thread along the needle it will fall in there.
    Forgot to mention, since I learned that and do it, it really does just go in the eye of the needle.

I messed up the threading device on my Janome -- another hint -- make sure you have pushed the up button so the needle is all the way up. Mine got bent because I did not do that. I used the wheel to crank it up (old school) I removed it and it is easier to just slide the thread down, so I have not replaced it.
    Old 05-09-2011, 02:30 PM

Forgot to mention, since I learned that and do it, it really does just go in the eye of the needle.

I messed up the threading device on my Janome -- another hint -- make sure you have pushed the up button so the needle is all the way up. Mine got bent because I did not do that. I used the wheel to crank it up (old school) I removed it and it is easier to just slide the thread down, so I have not replaced it.
    I meant I removed the self threading lever.
    Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
    Once it's threaded, you won't need to thread it again. Just tie the new thread to the old and pull it through. You may have to thread the needle, but that's all.
    The only time you will need to re-thread it is if the cotton actually breaks in the machine. All you need to do is follow the colored dots for each cotton until you come to the needles, then thread them as normal. The book you get with the machine tells you how. Always try out on a scrap of fabric to make sure it is sewing properly. I have my 2nd overlocker in 20+ years and that was b/c the first one died after long hard use.
    Old 05-10-2011, 04:19 AM
    Swap Hosts

Well, I found a source to get a new stitch plate, but in the meanwhile I've been happily serging all sorts of things. I picked up some heavy general purpose cotton and easily did a rolled hem for tea towels and started to embroider with a whacky days of the week design called animated household helpers. Here is Sunday
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-195256.jpe