Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Overwhelmed with Fabric >
  • Overwhelmed with Fabric

• Overwhelmed with Fabric

Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

You are going to get sooo many ideas !!!!

here's my way that works for me..

I have a bookcase that I ruler fold 1Yard+ cuts

I have a floor to ceiling bookcase ( and walk in closet) to store bolts of fabric

I have Closetmaid shoe cubbies for:
    1930's fabric
    batiks
    fqs- separated into colors

any wall space i have mounted cd racks for more FQs seperated by theme then by colors

I have 30 gal tubs for holiday fabs:
    xmas
    easter
    4th
    st patty
    Etc

I have 30 gal tubs for flannel

I have 15 gal tubs for:
    1xWOF strips
    1.5xWOF strips
    2xWOF strips
    2.5xWOF strips
    any longer strips hang on the back of my door

I have Sterilite drawer units for:
    each Accuquilt Die cut out
    strings longer then 5 but less than 10 inch
    strings longer then 10in but less than WOF
    binding strips
    Crumbs
    kits
    monthly fab subsriptions

I have a tower of drawers for just neutrals ( I cant resist a 'neutral' fabric sale!!)

I store bolts of insulbright, pellon and the like on top of the bookcases

I pretty much know where to go to look for what I need
    Old 01-25-2013, 10:03 AM

Oh my goodness, how lucky you are to be overwhelmed by fabric,glad to see that you are giving to Goodwill, not sure what that is but I guess it is what we know here in the U.K. is charity giving. Now I am getting older I realise that I have many scraps that can be used for charity quilts, mostly make prem' baby quilts.I used to make quilts for the homeless,a quillow was the best.It was possible to get old pattern books from fabric shops so that I could make lovely warm quilts with pockets to keep possessions safe overnight.plus their feet warm.Now I find it difficult to get hold of them. I guess the world money stuation makes everything tight Quilters on the whole though seem to have open generous hearts and do much to help the needy, bless all that do.xx
    Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM

Just a thought here, maybe cheap bookcases will work to start with, but any shelving that is not really sturdy will start to sag with the weight after a while. You need something that is built for heavy stuff. My friend bought heavy duty plastic shelving and it is sagging bad, and I have a bookcase with my cookbooks on it and those shelves are sagging.
    Old 01-25-2013, 10:55 AM

I arrange mine in see thru bins------small ones. Then label them. I usually put them together based on color or theme.
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:04 AM

Organizing a space is a "holistic" experience and by that I mean, you must look around for holes in your planning and your set-up.
    First step-assess the size of your space and how you want the flow to go in the room. Are you currently having to move around objects to get to vital sewing spaces or surfaces? In other words, do you sew, get up, walk somewhere, return, get up, walk somewhere else, return etc? Can you reach items you frequently use, without having to leave your sewing perch?
    Do you have valuable space being taken up by knick knacks, cutesy items and pieces of furniture not carrying their weight in terms of the mission---the mission being to sew efficiently and without frustration?

There are many other questions like this to ask before you get to the fabric but I'm going to jump there since you expressed frustration.
    I went to Ikea, like so many others on this board and I bought two white, tall bookcases which had doors on them. Each was $99. I used the ruler folding method and put all my fabric on the shelves. I have a rule for myself. If the shelves are full, I can't buy more fabric. I have to make space within my allocation. But, believe me, there is plenty of space on those shelves...these bookcases are double wide.

Another favor I did myself was to go back to Ikea and buy two chests, each with 3 big drawers. These handily take care of all my supplies with room to spare (that's 6 big drawers in which to store things.)
    I placed these side by side and on top of these chests, I made the plywood ironing board and padded it with darling fabric from Joann's in the sale bin. I now have a place to iron, store overflow fabric, and put my Ipod to listen to my books. I put two shelves above this board setup for all the "pretties" I wanted to look at but didn't want in my way.

The main challenge in organizing is staying focused and not allowing for those little "oh, I'll get to that later" lapses that result in new piles growing. If you absolutely have a space for everything, it's a cinch to clean up and organize. So look for your holes, either in your room or your thinking and good luck!
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by leighway
    Organizing a space is a "holistic" experience and by that I mean, you must look around for holes in your planning and your set-up.
    First step-assess the size of your space and how you want the flow to go in the room. Are you currently having to move around objects to get to vital sewing spaces or surfaces? In other words, do you sew, get up, walk somewhere, return, get up, walk somewhere else, return etc? Can you reach items you frequently use, without having to leave your sewing perch?
    Do you have valuable space being taken up by knick knacks, cutesy items and pieces of furniture not carrying their weight in terms of the mission---the mission being to sew efficiently and without frustration?

There are many other questions like this to ask before you get to the fabric but I'm going to jump there since you expressed frustration.
    I went to Ikea, like so many others on this board and I bought two white, tall bookcases which had doors on them. Each was $99. I used the ruler folding method and put all my fabric on the shelves. I have a rule for myself. If the shelves are full, I can't buy more fabric. I have to make space within my allocation. But, believe me, there is plenty of space on those shelves...these bookcases are double wide.

Another favor I did myself was to go back to Ikea and buy two chests, each with 3 big drawers. These handily take care of all my supplies with room to spare (that's 6 big drawers in which to store things.)
    I placed these side by side and on top of these chests, I made the plywood ironing board and padded it with darling fabric from Joann's in the sale bin. I now have a place to iron, store overflow fabric, and put my Ipod to listen to my books. I put two shelves above this board setup for all the "pretties" I wanted to look at but didn't want in my way.

The main challenge in organizing is staying focused and not allowing for those little "oh, I'll get to that later" lapses that result in new piles growing. If you absolutely have a space for everything, it's a cinch to clean up and organize. So look for your holes, either in your room or your thinking and good luck!

What she said !!!
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson
    I use clear plastic tubs. I have fabric basically separated by color, but a couple of categories separated out - cat, music, and Christmas fabric. I lift the lid to more closely look at the fabric. My biggest problem also is the thread. I tend to pull out what I need for a project, and then I can't find it for another project.
    Ha! I thought I was the only one who had a category called "cat fabric."

Dina
    Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM
    Power Poster

Default storage problems

Originally Posted by mrs. fitz
    I bought two cheap bookcases at Walmart and just put everything in them according to color in the first one and novelties and "themes" in the second, also my large stash of orange/autumn/Halloween fabrics. Christmas fabrics are stored in an antique dresser that has a chifferobe - spelled incorrectly I'm sure - on one side. The previous owner put shelves in. Batiks, strips and selveges are stored in large but not deep plastic boxes. Not ideal but it works for me. My fantasy is to buy another apartment, a studio, on our floor and put every bit of quilting equipment and fabric there. Not gonna happen.
    I like your fantasy, even though like you, it's not gonna happen. I think I just need to clone myself so that I can quilt/sew 24/7, then I might be able to whittle down my fabric "stash" to a reasonable level. Wish me luck.
    Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM

I use plastic see-through containers that fit under my bed, so I just have to slide them out when I need to. I also donate regularly to one of several churches in my area that makes quilts to donate.
    Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Love the purples!