Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Owl patten 2935 >
  • Owl patten 2935

• Owl patten 2935

Old 04-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Lightbulb Owl patten 2935

I need help figuring out this pattern to buy fabric... cant make heads or tails with figuring it out!!! Thanks for any advise.
    Old 04-28-2016, 02:26 AM

Speaking of owls.....is anyone else watching the Cornell Bird Cam. They have several sets of baby owls with llve cameras. Also a condor chick. It is about as time wasting as it gets. I just love the 3 little barred owls. I was so afraid that the smallest one would not make it, but the parents are working hard to bring enough for all of them to eat. They also have a camera on a pair of red tailed hawks in Ithaca, New York. The Dad Red Tail brought in some dinner, but the 3 little hawk chicks were full. The Mom knew it would freeze and be too frozen for the small chicks to eat the next day if she left it laying outside. So she put it under her with the chicks so it would be easy to feed them in the morning......and they call them dumb animals! Just Google "bird cam" and hit Cornell Ornithology bird project. Marcia
    Old 04-28-2016, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by lldennett
    I need help figuring out this pattern to buy fabric... cant make heads or tails with figuring it out!!! Thanks for any advise.
    you need to be more clear
    Old 04-28-2016, 02:47 AM
    Power Poster

I assume you are referring to the Simplicity pattern 2935. Usually the fabric requirements are on the back of the envelope.
    http://www.ebay.com/p/Simplicity-Sew...ing/1500045223
    There is a photo of the back of the envelope when you click on this link. It list 19 fabrics that you need to purchase. These are very large rag rugs so they take a lot of flannel. The written instruction should tell you what each number is for what area of the owl.

Welcome to the board.
    Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 AM

ManiacQuilter2, you are so perceptive and so kind. Welcome lldennett and I hope you enjoy this site. I enjoy the banter and I have learned a lot. I was curious and went to ebay to see the pattern. It looks like fun.
    Old 04-28-2016, 03:25 AM

Just want to say.... Welcome to the board, lldennett.
    I was going to give some info but ManiacQuilter2 beat me to it.
    Old 04-28-2016, 03:46 AM
    Power Poster

Hello and welcome. I have made the teddy bear quilt that is put together like the owl. You are actually making two, front and back, each has the same number of pieces. The back can be one color fabric or many different ones, same as the front. The batting (middle) has to be cut too. The lay out and cutting was confusing but the sewing was easy.
    Old 04-28-2016, 10:32 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Hello and welcome. I have made the teddy bear quilt that is put together like the owl. You are actually making two, front and back, each has the same number of pieces. The back can be one color fabric or many different ones, same as the front. The batting (middle) has to be cut too. The lay out and cutting was confusing but the sewing was easy.
    Great suggestion! I had forgotten that you sew the backing at the same time. If not familiar with making a rag rug, THAT could be very confusing.
    Old 04-28-2016, 01:30 PM
    Power Poster

Actually, I bought two of the same pattern. One I used just for the batting pattern. I cut the pieces one inch smaller all around. That really saved a lot of hassle. I fused lightweight interfacing to the tissue pattern. No tearing and no fold lines when storing. I remember when these animal rag quit patterns were on sale for $.99. I thought hey these must be going to be discontinued. So I bought two of each.
    Old 04-28-2016, 04:01 PM

I have that pattern, but so far have only made the turtle (twice). Warning: they are heavy. Next time, I am thinking of using homespun or regular cotton for the middle layer.