Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Packing machines for a move >
  • Packing machines for a move

• Packing machines for a move

Old 07-13-2018, 04:34 AM

Stitchnripper's link is a good one and I recommend it. If your machine must be shipped, double-boxing is the way you should go. Use fiberglass strapping tape to secure the box. I have used an entire roll of it to seal one box. Start the roll of tape on one corner of the box (I usually start at the top left, about 3" down from the corner) and go diagonally in a straight line to the other corner. Do not cut the tape at any point - just keep rolling around and around wherever the tape takes you. This will preserve the structural integrity of the box.
    At my most recent packing experience, I packed some boxes and a coworker packed others. There was much laughter as I rolled and rollled tape around my boxes. All boxes were transferred by the same shipper. Mine arrived totally intact, contents untouched. Boxes packed by my coworker all arrived damaged, some with contents spilling out. For the cost of a roll of tape, it's a no-brainer.
    Old 07-13-2018, 07:13 AM

I have always saved the original boxes my machines came in for just that purpose. I put my entire sewing room into storage for what ended up being 4 years long. When I finally sold the house and bought another one, it was over 1,200 miles trip for my items. When they movers opened the back end and I saw my machines on the bottom of the piles I freaked out but since I had kept all the packing materials for each box, they came thru fine. Needless to say I made comment to the movers that I didn't appreciate seeing my machines at the bottom with heavy book boxes on top of them.
    Old 07-13-2018, 07:36 AM

I moved across country and all my machines were moved by Atlas. I put my big Janome is the rolling tote from Joannes with lots of fabric around it. They wrapped my HQ16 in packing pads. My small Janome went into a box with lots of fabric around it. Everything was just fine when unpacked. I really worried about the HQ16. My machines were all bought used and did not come with boxes.

UPS will pack machines in their store and ship them with a guarantee. That is pricey tho.
    Old 07-13-2018, 09:04 AM

Check with your local dealer. They may have an extra box or two. Not everyone takes those big boxes home. Even if it's not your exact machine, they probably have one to fit.

Good luck on your move!
    Old 07-13-2018, 05:34 PM

We have moved several times and we always carry my machines, guns and computers with us. Movers take everything else, but we either rent a small truck or manage to pack everything in our cars. Some things I just don't trust anyone else with!
    Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 AM

I just flew from the Midwest to the East Coast with a 1964 Singer wrapped in bubble wrap, packed in a brown box and it arrived beautifully. I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn’t damage. Good luck!
    Old 07-14-2018, 06:00 AM

I'm surprised the embroidery arm doesn't come off. I have two Brother emb machines and both have removable arms. Have you checked the manual to see if it comes off? I would NOT use peanuts for packing. They don't keep anything from shifting. If you have to pack it consider taking it to a UPS or FexEx store and ask them to pack it. If you do it yourself, use plenty of padding and make sure the machine is stable and doesn't shift around. How you would pack it with the emb arm attached is probably going to be a problem.
    Old 07-14-2018, 06:19 AM

Find a large box (shippers will tell you a minimum of 2" space each direction). You can accordion 2 boxes if necessary. Then use blankets and towels. You have to pack them anyway, might as well use them. We have done that with our towels, pillowcases, etc when packing kitchen items. A tip told to me many years ago was to use your washer and dryer and pack them with sheets, pillows, toilet paper and paper towels and soap. When you arrive at new location, these appliances are easy to locate and you will need these items as soon as you get there! Also, make sure you mark all the boxes with room locations (not contents, that can tempt a thief). If you are taking your refrigerator, it is a great place to stash small boxes containing crystal, photo books and other valuable items. Wrap it shut with some duct tape. Again, it is easy to spot and not likely to get misplaced. Good luck to you! Try to look at the positives - my last move allowed me to get a dedicated work room that is 10' x 22'. Makes up for all the work of moving!
    Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by klswift
    Find a large box (shippers will tell you a minimum of 2" space each direction). You can accordion 2 boxes if necessary. Then use blankets and towels. You have to pack them anyway, might as well use them. We have done that with our towels, pillowcases, etc when packing kitchen items. A tip told to me many years ago was to use your washer and dryer and pack them with sheets, pillows, toilet paper and paper towels and soap. When you arrive at new location, these appliances are easy to locate and you will need these items as soon as you get there! Also, make sure you mark all the boxes with room locations (not contents, that can tempt a thief). If you are taking your refrigerator, it is a great place to stash small boxes containing crystal, photo books and other valuable items. Wrap it shut with some duct tape. Again, it is easy to spot and not likely to get misplaced. Good luck to you! Try to look at the positives - my last move allowed me to get a dedicated work room that is 10' x 22'. Makes up for all the work of moving!
    What great ideas. I would never have thought to put anything inside the washer and dryer or the refrigerator.
    Old 07-14-2018, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by klswift
    Wrap it shut with some duct tape.
    Did the duct tape residue come off?? That would be my biggest fear. I'd probably buy a roll of that cling-wrap style of packing tape, they kind you see being wrapped around boxes on pallets.