Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Packing Up To Move >
  • Packing Up To Move

• Packing Up To Move

Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 AM
    Power Poster

I know what you are going through, it's tough. We had to move from a 3 bedroom home with finished basement, 1/4 of which was my sewing area, in addition to the smaller bedroom upstairs (I used this in winter so we wouldn't have to heat my sewing room ); to a 2-bedroom apartment, after living there for 33 years. Fortunately, I had friends who helped me sort through my "stash", which also included the stash from my sister when she passed away. It was difficult, but I tried to keep the necessities: Fabric I wanted to keep (which wound up being about half my stash), threads, applique materials, rulers, plus magazines and books, etc. When I recovered from the move, which was very emotional, but then I started sorting through my magazines and books, then gave them to a friend who sorted through them and passed on what she didn't want to keep. As much as I miss my fabric shopping, it's a good feeling to "shop at home". I made a full size quilt for my DGD completely from my stash. I know it's difficult, but I have "discovered" fabric I didn't remember buying, sort of like a treasure hunt.

Last edited by MargeD; 06-13-2014 at 08:08 AM. Reason: forgot something I needed to add.
    Old 06-13-2014, 08:28 AM

And, this moving and downsizing thing has been on my mind for several months now. What I am trying to do is just deal with it, and not do any more shopping or looking. As a matter of fact, I have a lady coming over today to look at a sewing machine that I have finally given up on. It is the HV that I spoke of in this forum a long time ago, and took two lessons on it to no avail, so I am saying "so long, it's been fun but it is all over now" and the money will go back into my savings that got wiped out a couple of months ago when I bought the new Elna.....

Last edited by patricej; 06-14-2014 at 04:14 AM.
    Old 06-13-2014, 10:52 AM

We built a new house last year and I knew moving was going to be an ordeal because my DH is a packrat. Since we designed the house and the spare bedroom was also going to be my sewing room I made sure it has lots of storage (walk-in closet plus access to understairs alcove) It's not completely organized yet but at least all my tubs are in one place and I know what is in which tub. I hope this is the last move for a LOOOOOOOG time! At least DH realized his stuff is out of control and since HE is paying for the $100 storage unit, I think he wants to rethink what he wants to keep when he gets our shop built.
    Old 06-13-2014, 12:30 PM

Mustang, I was sharing with DH how many totes you have of fabric. His comment was that I cannot compete with you. He is not upset with my stash since he helped/encouraged, etc. me to buy a lot of it. Moving is a big deal in a person's life. May you find blessings everywhere you turn throughout this adventure.
    Old 06-14-2014, 05:12 AM

LOVE your "401K" comment, I'll have to try that next time my DH sees ALL my fabric packed up (it's coming soon that I thought it would). The last time DH was looking over my shoulder (with his mouth open and eyes bugged out - over another sewing machine). I said "But you don't understand just how much money I saved you, it was such a good deal it was almost FREE". Then I told him about how much fabric is going up. LOL the things we say, even if we don't have too. Good luck with your move.
    Old 06-14-2014, 05:28 AM

I agree...a year?? Are you putting it climate controlled storage? I am contemplating a move as well if I can sell my house this year for a reasonable price to cut down on a 2 hr commute I have each day to work and back. I am worried if my house sells I wont be able to find a replacement that will work and the alternative is to rent for a while which means all goes into storage...I know how much fabric I have because I personally moved it all here 8 yrs ago and the 300+ books as well...so I just hate the thought...
    Old 06-14-2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by mustangquilts
    We are moving from Central Idaho Wilderness area to Sundance, Wyoming. Over 3000 ft. difference in altitude. Tired of winter, winter, two weeks summer, 1 month fall and than winter again.
    Welcome to the area! I live an hour away and Sundance is such a pretty little area. I hope you can get back to quilting soon.
    Old 06-14-2014, 09:37 AM

If you haven 't already done so take pictures of every thing & try to actually inventory as much as you can.We just moved&a lots of things from my quilting room were lost& it is difficult to remember exactly what is gone let alone prove the value.
    Old 06-14-2014, 10:17 AM

All the best wishes to everyone who is moving or even considering doing so. It's got to be heart wrenching (even if you are happy with the change) if you've been in the same home for lots of years.

I've told my children just to plow in the house over me when I'm gone..... I've been here since 1980. My daughter would throw out everything; my son would keep it all because it was mine. Somewhere there has to be a happy medium. I've added the quilters Last Will and Testament to my papers so hopefully can avoid the above. Every time I open a box or a closet I'm coming up with more and more stuff. It's got to go; I'll never live long enough to use it all. Joyce in Delaware
    Old 06-14-2014, 11:57 AM

To all of you who are moving, I hope things go well and you are up and sewing soon. I moved from a four room apartment to two rooms. I had things stored away in the closet where I couldn't see them. Last year I took them out and now I can see my fabric so I can use my stash as a starting point when beginning a new project.