Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paducah >
  • Paducah

• Paducah

Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 PM

Well, my DH surprised me and changed our vacation plans. We are now going to go to Crater of Diamonds state park in Arkansas. But along the way, we are going to stop in Paducah. I've never been so I need some advice from those of you who have. I know I definitely need to see the quilt museum but where else is a definite must see. I will probably only have a day or at most a day and a half.
    Old 06-27-2010, 04:17 PM
    Power Poster

Awwww that is so sweet of DH to plan out your route this way :D:D:D
    Old 06-27-2010, 04:21 PM
    Power Poster

What a sweetie. I have never been so take some pics for me. I would love to see the quilt museum
    Old 06-27-2010, 04:25 PM

Crater of Diamonds is cool. My hubby took me there for our 26th anniversary. Just make sure you take plenty of sunscreen.
    Old 06-27-2010, 04:42 PM

I can't be very specific but anyone there can tell you what I mean. Two rivers meet and the water is two different colors. The whole waterfront area was interesting. I don't know if this was just for the period of the quilt show but there were horse drawn carriages to take you around Paducah and you can see pretty much everything in a short period of time. We had great barbecue from a man who had a truck in the middle of a parking lot; the people from whom we rented a room told us about him or we'd never have known. I wish I remembered more details. My husband came up with the river, barbecue guy, and the paintings along the river. Enjoy!!!!
    Old 06-27-2010, 04:46 PM
    Pam

Carol Brier Fallert's shop is in town, you need to see that, she carries a line of her fabrics. There are lots of antique shops in town, if the two of you enjoy that type of thing. (I do) Quilt in a Day has a shop there, very reasonably priced fabrics with delightful people working there.

Hancock's of Paducah, of course. The waterfront is nice with the art on the retaining walls. Lunch there is a must, just pick any cafe downtown, they are all good.

Have a good time. A word to the wise. DO NOT leave Hancock's for last. When it is closing time, they will turn out the lights on you, even if you are still shopping in the store.
    Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 PM

You are brave if you plan on vacationing here in Arkansas in the summer. If you are, I suggest going outside very early (6:00 a.m.) and sleeping through the middle of the day and then go outside late. That's what my dogs and I do!
    Old 06-28-2010, 07:12 AM

Hancocks of Paducah is a very big store and has soooo many different quilting fabrics etc. Need lots of time for that store. They aren't affiliated with the Hancock Fabric stores. There prices are good and the employees are very nice. They also ship at very fair prices. They usually have good sales too. Hope you get to stop there. It is quite an experience.

Suzy
    Old 06-28-2010, 07:55 AM
    Pam

Originally Posted by Suzy
    Hancocks of Paducah is a very big store and has soooo many different quilting fabrics etc. Need lots of time for that store. They aren't affiliated with the Hancock Fabric stores. There prices are good and the employees are very nice. They also ship at very fair prices. They usually have good sales too. Hope you get to stop there. It is quite an experience.

Suzy
    I agree, whenever I am in town I ALWAYS go there, just early, LOL! Besides fabric they have a books, patterns, ect but do not carry a large variety of notions.
    Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Also don't forget to go to the Quilt in a Day Shop in downtown Paducah!!! Have a fun time! There's so many little shops that are very interesting in town.