Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pansy KAleidoscope Quilt Top >
  • Pansy KAleidoscope Quilt Top

• Pansy KAleidoscope Quilt Top

Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 AM
    Power Poster

Well I think your quilt is really beautiful. You will probably like it better after you finish it; I sometimes find that I am tired of the fabrics and design by the time I finish the top, but after I finish the quilting and binding I like it again.

I have made one quilt from One Block Wonders also, and I am looking forward to starting another. I agree with your comment about the difficulty finding appropriate fabric, especially on-line. I *think* that a lot of the Japanese prints from Kona Bay have a longer repeat, but it sure would be nice to know just how long that repeat is before ordering the fabric. If you get a response to your inquiry and someone is actually able to supply that information before you order, please let us know!

My first quilt from this book was from a Wal-Mart fabric with dogs all over it. Everyone seems to enjoy spotting the dogs' noses, ears, etc. but I wasn't happy with how the fabric seemed to lose its sheen after the quilt was washed. I haven't had that happen with "better" fabrics before. Now I have two Japanese fabrics that I am thinking about trying, but the problem is that I have only 2 yards (6 repeats) of one and 3 yards of the other. I think they match well enough that I can mix them in the quilt, but if not it will be a small quilt, perhaps using one as a border.

Attached Thumbnails attachment-24139.jpe   attachment-24158.jpe   attachment-24343.jpe  
    Old 05-07-2009, 08:09 AM
    Power Poster

I had never seen a one block wonder quilt before today! I think they are terrific! So much to look at!
    I guess I have heard them mentioned but never went and checked them out.
    Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Dunster that is fantastic! AND you've done the hollow blocks as well! She mentions them in the book I've got but not how to do them! Your doggy fabric is just the kind of thing I was after for a quilt for a friend of mine. like your quilt shows - as against mine, a larger more interesting print is what you need to get the full effect! I'll keep on googling and harrassing suppliers til I find what I'm after! You've really spurred me on - FANTASTIC QUILT!!!

K x
    Old 05-07-2009, 08:31 AM
    Izy

K I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kaleidoscope quilt....it is truly beautiful, one day...soon I might just have to treat myself to this book :D

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Izy
    K I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kaleidoscope quilt....it is truly beautiful, one day...soon I might just have to treat myself to this book :D
    Thanks Izy - I'm sure you'd enjoy it! i got the book from the Book Depository in the UK, ordered online!

K x
    Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 AM
    Izy

It's my birthday soon...oh and yours!! Think I will request it from my son, he can bring it over at the end of the month when he visits :D
    Old 05-07-2009, 08:38 AM
    Izy

Does the templates come with it K? What template did you use ...a 60 Deg. Triangle thingymajig?? :lol:
    Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Rhonda, here's some close up pics but as you can see from dunster's quilt, much better than in mine, the effect is really not in the individul blocks but how they blend together - in fact, ideally you shouldn't even SEE the edges of the blocks. I'm so into this, can you tell?! :D

K x
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-24350.jpe   attachment-24351.jpe   attachment-24353.jpe  
    Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

[quote=RhondaI
    We have an old fashioned store here that is owned by the Menonnites. It is like an old fashioned country store. I plan to go today or tomarrow maybe and they have lots of those fun fabrics I like for Kaleidoscopes. I used one once that was a picture of a country store shelf and it was fun. It had a mustard tin on the shelf and baskets of apples that kind of thing. I will look to see what i can find for the dogs or chickens for you if you like! How much would you like? They are pretty reasonable price wise. Most of them are an average of $5 and a lot of them are $3. Let me know if you are interested. [/quote]

That would be great Rhonda - I'd need 4 or 5 yards depending on the size of the repeat. The size of the motifs should be over 3" so they get split by the cutting process and the repeat is best up around or just under 24" - you need at least 6 repeats and some fudge allowance. What is also good is if the back ground has some movement in it rather than just being flat plain. Here's a link to a workshop supply list that gives more details. http://www.pioneerquiltersguild.org/...k%20supply.pdf
    Of course I'd reimbourse you and your shipping costs. :D

K x
    Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Izy
    Does the templates come with it K? What template did you use ...a 60 Deg. Triangle thingymajig?? :lol:
    I ordered a kaleido template at the same time as the book then realised it was for octogon blocks and you had to make squares as well to fill the gaps. Then when I was in England I saw a 60deg triangle so I bought that! I will probably do the octogons one day but I wanted to start with the hexs as it's a new technique. You can use the 60 deg line on your ruler as well but the template makes it easier - put it on your birthday list! When in June were you again? I forgot! It's my age!

K x