Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • pantograms for domestics? >
  • pantograms for domestics?

• pantograms for domestics?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Its is very possible to quilt your own quilt on your domestic machine. I've done all of mine that way. Its a little more trouble, but the sense of completeing it totally on your own is worth it to me and I just don't have the room or inclination to buy a LA right now. Here is a link to the one I'm finishing up right now.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136439-1.htm
    that looks fantastic! what machine are you using?
    Old 07-24-2011, 06:00 PM

How about I just send my tops to you, sandpat? Gorgeous quilting!! I can't even do a decent meander, even though I've got a good size throat on my machine.
    Old 07-24-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Its is very possible to quilt your own quilt on your domestic machine. I've done all of mine that way. Its a little more trouble, but the sense of completeing it totally on your own is worth it to me and I just don't have the room or inclination to buy a LA right now. Here is a link to the one I'm finishing up right now.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136439-1.htm
    WOW! That is some seriously beautiful and inspirational work! I never would have guessed that this was quilted on a DSM. Please, please give us the details on your machine and technique! The pebbling is out of this world.
    Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Try calling some quilt shops in small towns around you. Or put the word out that you are looking for a quilter in small towns around you. I found a quilter in a town two hours from me that will quilt my quilts for an average of $35.00 each which includes batting. She doesn't do custom for that price, but she did a wonderful pantogram. So call your friends in those little towns.
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    you can quilt on a DSM you just have to go thru extra steps to set things up to your advantage.

start with building yourself one of these tables - this will give you a quilting space of 4-6 feet to rest your quilt on depending on the size table you use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0

then get a supreme slider and some sullivans silicon spray to spray the plastic table cloth when your quilt isn't sliding as nice as you'd like.

some people have great success with bobbin washers to prevent backlash but i've never noticed a difference.

finally you want a nice pair of well fitting gloves i like machingers best.

one you have everything set up and ready to go start with mug rugs, placements, etc and slowly work your way up to bigger pieces.
    I made this cheap quilting table for my 1st machine that was 22 yrs old and it worked great!!
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 PM

Find a class. I teach machine quilting on domestic machines at the local community college. There are probably classes somewhere near you. And expect to practice about a hundred hours before you feel at all competent. Recommend starting with simple things first, like stitch in the ditch and 1/4" straight stitches, which are harder than it looks. Next doodle simple shapes with pencil and paper. Expect to spend some time checking your tension and pressure before you even get started. There is a wealth of information to be learned in a hands on class. You will be glad you went.
    Old 07-25-2011, 03:21 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136972-1.htm

This was done on a domestic with 7 1/2 throat. No slider, no silicone. I'm a newbie at free motion and have a midarm that I'm still learning to use. Practice. I would say I go through a yard or more a week in just practice pieces. And they do sell pantos for domestic machines, make sure if you buy them that your getting the right ones. Never used them but I've seen them, they have sticky on the back. Good luck!
    Old 07-25-2011, 03:41 AM

This is a great topic. I have been practicing FMQ for about 4 mons now. It really does get easier. I am up to doing flowers and hearts. I may look into pantos for domestic machines tho!
    Old 07-25-2011, 04:05 AM

Hey, Hey, I live in a little town. But the quilters want big prices. I guess they need to pay for those machines. Bless their hearts, I don't blame them................
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:22 AM
    Power Poster

There are free designs on line, many books with designs can be purchased that can be traced and pinned to your quilt section and stitched to get that beautiful longarm design you are looking for. Takes a little time but well worth it. You can stack 10 pieces of tracing paper with your design on top and then stitch over it (use only needle, no thread). Now you have 10 copies to sew up. Then just tear away the paper and wahla you have a beautiful feather, quilt design, etc. Practice makes perfect. That is how I have done almost all of my quilts.