Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paper Piecers: a cry for help! >
  • Paper Piecers: a cry for help!

• Paper Piecers: a cry for help!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 AM

I do pp with strips. I measure the width of the shape, so the ruler is perpendicular from the left edge of the shape and add on 5/8" if having 1/4" seam allowance. Then I cut strips this width. Line up the seam allow. with the new strips - right sides togeth. and sew. Iron the seam, flip the new piece over and press again, then go to the next piece, fold the paper pattern back on the sew line and trim off the extra fabric, leaving your seam allowance. This cuts your previous fabric strip off and gets you ready for the next shape. Take your next strip, lay the paper pattern on it, pin if necessary, sew, press, etc. It works so much better than trying to cut a shaped piece of fabric and get it big enough but not too big and have it be reversed. Yes, there is some waste that get's cut off, but I find it way easier. I learned this method from a book by Valori Wells - "Radiant New York Beauties". I've been working on a pattern now, that has 1/8" seam allowance and it works fine for even this small stuff.
    Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM
    Power Poster

I'm different as I don't precut the fabric AT ALL! I cut the fabric into strips a smidge wider than the widest piece of that color, then I fold back the pattern from the last piece applied, match up the trimmed seam line with my long strip and sew..then flip and trim, then do it again. Works every time! (well..almost..:oops)
    Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 AM
    Power Poster

Oops...sorry, fingers worked faster than puter...double post.
    Old 01-05-2011, 08:02 AM

I love paper piecing, it just takes a bit of practise...you``ll get the hang of it...I still make mistakes once in a while...lol
    Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM

You might like to view the Paper Piecing step by step
    tutorial. Its www.overallquilters.com Video 16-17-18.
    I found this very helpful. (also on You Tube)
    Betty Lee
    Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
    Don't give up - you are doing great. When I started paper piecing I had to toss several attempts as I could not use the seam ripper since the stitches were so tiny.
    I never "toss" any of my boo-boos, come Christmas gift making time I can use practically every one in Placemats/pot holders, cushions etc; not a meany just hate throwing something useful away.

This was a cushion from such a boo-boo and I made this tote out of some PP mistakes :lol:
    Old 01-05-2011, 10:40 AM

there is a tool/ruler for this problem. i believe it is called add enough. i had the tool but can't find it right now. i used it when i first started paper piecing....i no longer need it.
    just put in add enough ruler in the google or yahoo search.
    hope this helps..don't give up it gets easier and FUN
    oh yeah one more tip don't try to cut the piece to fit shape make it bigger and square it up.
    Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Like all the other posts you should use bigger pieces of fabric. I also use a "add a 1/4 in ruler" to get the exact cut I need. Good luck.
    Old 01-05-2011, 11:51 AM

And remember, if all else fails, a eyebrow shaper or trimmer is indispensable for ripping out those tiny stitches. They can be purchased at about any drugstore, two in a package for next to nothing -- I'm talking 2 or 3 dollars! They can be found on the cosmetic aisle and I believe Sally Hanson makes them or I have one with "Trim" as the brand name. It's such a great tool I should buy stock in the company!! To use it, first use your seam ripper to remove the first few stitches to get it started and then just pull the seam apart and gently rub the blade over the stitches.
    PS -- it also helps to have a third hand so I put the piece under the pressure foot. The foot holds the fabric steady while I use my lt hand to pull the seam open and my rt hand uses the cutter. Hope this makes sense........I've become a champion ripper!!
    Old 01-05-2011, 12:35 PM

Agree, your pieces are too small, but I'm betting you tried to cut the shape of the piece (a triangle for instance) instead of a rectangle and trimming off the extra. That way, you don't have to worry about which way the angle will be. Also, as a suggestion, get a copy of a Carol Doak book. I've done it her way since I started paper piecing and never had a problem.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-154024.jpe