Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paper piecing question >
  • Paper piecing question

• Paper piecing question

Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM
    Power Poster

I take the paper out of the seams before joining the blocks. That really saves a lot of time later.
    Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 PM

With a large pattern, I would take it off when I joined A and b together. Etc. this saves time and mess.
    Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3
    I normally leave it in to protect the edges of the blocks which often are bias edges. I take mine off when the piece is bordered by a non paper pieced edge of fabric.

Note: some authors suggest stay stitching in the seam allowance to stabalize but if you do this when the paper is on the blocks, taking off the paper is much harder on the fabric of the edge. If you do it, test a block first. In fact, with this project, I would test all on a sample block so you know how it works.
    I do the same.
    Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 AM

I also wait until all the blocks are sewn together before I tear any paper. Then I get a good movie and 2 daughters and we have a great time. It's now a family tradition.
    Old 02-28-2014, 11:00 AM

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...6cfO1qCzklk2c3

I do mine using this Freezer Paper foundation method: no paper to tear off.Make sure you pin your block corners well when joining blocks
    Old 03-01-2014, 06:40 AM

Have any of you used the wash away paper used for paper piecing? (Looks more like sheer interfacing) I picked some up a few years ago (big sale at a craft/sewing store going out of business) and have not gotten around to doing anything yet. Supposedly, it goes through the printer easily, then you sew as usual. You are supposed to be able to complete the quilt, then wash, and the paper dissolves. I thought I would make a small table runner and wash after completed, just to see if it really works. Would be so cool to be able to do a whole quilt, start to finish, with the paper still in the quilt. But then again, the cost would most likely be outrageous.
    Old 03-01-2014, 06:53 AM
    Power Poster

I take the paper off of the 1/4 inch seams once they are sewn together and I take the paper off of the whole top once the whole top is done.
    Old 03-01-2014, 04:46 PM

I am watching this thread. I also have a glacier pines pp that I have yet to start. I have done a moderate amount of pp but nothing to the extent of a Judy Neimyer!

Cindy in tn
    Old 03-01-2014, 04:57 PM
    Power Poster

YIKES!! I just bought a Judy Niemeyer pattern but I have just gotten reacquainted with PP. Use to do it for years. I am shopping for my brights for Island Sunrise (New York Beauty). I am going to make copies of the pattern to practice the piecing and get familiar with sitiching a quarter of a circle.

I mostly leave the paper on the pieced block because of the bias. But I find what works for me is to very carefully cut the seam allowance off the top piece that I am connecting with another block. I find with the elimination of that one seam allowance, the block is much easier to press. Good Luck. Make some copies and test your abilities. GOOD LUCK !!