Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paper piecing question >
  • Paper piecing question

• Paper piecing question

Old 10-08-2014, 06:03 PM

Default Paper piecing question

All of my paper piecing has been two or four sets sewn together to make one block but have started doing stars and compasses with sometimes eight pieces meeting in the center. So, is there a special way or process to reduce the lump/knob on the back side when all joined?
    Old 10-08-2014, 06:16 PM

Before you join the pieces in the center, make sure that your seams are "spiraled" when they meet. Depending on the type of paper you are using (i.e. regular photo copy paper, or thinner paper) It may be easier to tear away the paper ONLY from the seam edge of the two pieces - but it will make it more difficult to match the seams.

also ... I usually baste my pieces when I join them, flip them open to make sure the seams match, then I sew over the basting stitch with a smaller stitch.
    Old 10-08-2014, 06:58 PM

I have a paper piecing confession that is my answer to your question - when i have 8 pieces meeting - i make a slight change to the star/compass pattern. I've never tried to explain it before, so hope this makes sense.

After sewing the 2 pieces that make up the 1/4 block - i sew an extra piece at an angle across the center point position in a way that is pleasing to the look of the rest of the star/compass. Then i cut off the fabric underneath. This gives me only a normal simple 4 piece for the join at the center of the final block.

I confess - i just got tired of fighting the "bumps" in the middle....life's too short and i figure it makes my blocks totally unique (ok - that part's just what i tell myself, but i'm sticking to it)
    Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 PM

If it is a project such as a wall hanging that will not be washed a lot, I press all the seams open which reduces the bulk in the middle.
    Old 10-08-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF
    I have a paper piecing confession that is my answer to your question - when i have 8 pieces meeting - i make a slight change to the star/compass pattern. I've never tried to explain it before, so hope this makes sense.

After sewing the 2 pieces that make up the 1/4 block - i sew an extra piece at an angle across the center point position in a way that is pleasing to the look of the rest of the star/compass. Then i cut off the fabric underneath. This gives me only a normal simple 4 piece for the join at the center of the final block.

I confess - i just got tired of fighting the "bumps" in the middle....life's too short and i figure it makes my blocks totally unique (ok - that part's just what i tell myself, but i'm sticking to it)
    Wow! This is so for me. Thank you for confessing your walking outside the straight-and-narrow path of the quilting process. I won't report you to the PPP (paper piecing police) if you don't tell on me. I am so going to implement your ingenious, albeit unconventional, way. A BIG THANK YOU.
    Old 10-08-2014, 07:59 PM

someone posted once about buying and using a heavy mallet to "hammer" bulky seams. I found one at Harbor Freight and it is really heavy. I haven't tried it yet, but it is supposed to reduce bulk. I also read about this in one of the quilting magazines.
    Old 10-08-2014, 10:13 PM

For the centres I open main seams and press very flat. At this stage trim off excess ears. Match 8 into twos, then fours. Pressing the seams open. Now I pin the centre making the seams match. Now sew from the centre and check if correct. If not only small amount to undo. When ready do other side. I trim the seam a little to make lay flat. Ina sheared people hitting with hammers to make them go flat. The less you fiddle with stretchy edges the best. I also spray starch all fabric after I fave sewn each section before putting all 8 together. It makes it stay put in the centre,
    Old 10-09-2014, 03:48 AM

That is brilliant!!!!!!
    Old 10-09-2014, 04:07 AM

Ha! Ha! Ha! I love the idea of whacking it with a big mallet. What a stress reliever.
    Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 AM

\

I think I get it, but do you have pictures to share? This sounds like it could be so for me to do. I had one recently that about drove me to drink something beside Mountain Dew. So challenging and I am working on stars right now. So anything to make it simpler. Pictures??? Please?????