Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paste this over your washer and dryer >
  • Paste this over your washer and dryer

• Paste this over your washer and dryer

Old 09-07-2011, 06:56 AM

I remember my mother had a schedule and it was kept no matter what.(I am 62) Monday was washing and ironing, Tuesday was bread making, Wednesday mending and sewing, etc. And each and every day there was a home cooked meal on the table, usually with a chicken she had killed and cleaned that morning and a home made cake or pie with some fruit she had gathered or been given. I also remember that every piece of laundry was starched, except towels and underwear. The pieces were so stiff they would stand up on their own. She had a vinegar bottle filled with water with a cork and sprinker head on it and us kids had to sprinkle the clothes to get them damp while she ironed. And I never heard her complain about anything.
    Old 09-07-2011, 07:05 AM

Loved the story about clothed washing. I don't have a story like that but I had a favorite aunt who used to say periodically that it was time to put a "wrench" on her head. Not knowing the difference, it sounded fine to me as a kid. Now I have to giggle everytime I think of it.
    Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 AM

This comment may be out of place, excuse me if it is. About 6 years ago we went to Lithuania. We were invited out to a farm for lunch. All the food was grown on the farm - chicken, veg. bread, honey, jams, wine, moonshine, fruits, etc. After diner gramma showed us her wood stove she made all the food on or in. She also chopped the wood. We have life too easy...
    Old 09-07-2011, 07:22 AM

Wow, and they call that the "good old days?"
    Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM
    Suz

I grew up with a wringer washer and had one for myself before I got an automatic. I remember adding blueing to the rinse water to keep the whites white and Argo Starch made with water, blueing and on the stove.

AND, I said "warsh" until we moved to Washington, DC and was teased about the "r". I'm a quick learner!! Don't use the "r" anymore but hear it a lot here in Central PA.
    Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 AM

I remember watching my grandma boil my uncles' "work britches" to get the grime out. Even now I can feel the muscle she needed to move that long pole to stir the pot! :)
    Old 09-07-2011, 08:36 AM

This really brings back memories of my grandmother on my mothers side, as she use to do washings for the wealthy. She also raised 8 kids and was the only quilter in the family. Wonder if us spoiled gals would be up to it in this modern age?
    IdahoSandy
    Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Have used the bath tub on occasions when every thing was against me ie: no money, no washer etc. I made it through those times, though.
    Old 09-07-2011, 09:22 AM

My Mimi washed clothes on a glass washboard and hated it, she also boiled some on the wood stove. Her favorite advice to me was "sweep the floors everyday and always have on a fresh dress and combed hair to meet your husband at the door when he comes home from work" If she could see me in my barn clothes she would have a fit. Miss her and loved her dearly.
    Old 09-07-2011, 09:44 AM

I have that printed on a piece of parchement type paper that my kids bought me at the Dalton Gang Hideout Museum in the early 80s. I has little illustrations on it and it's cute. I usually hang it in one of my bathrooms.