Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pattern for a bag to hold quilts >
  • Pattern for a bag to hold quilts

• Pattern for a bag to hold quilts

Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 AM

Default Pattern for a bag to hold quilts

Hi Everyone - I have a question I saw a post by dilyn "Baby Quilt & Bag" how awesome - the bag is what I need to make I'm making quilts for my granddaughters and would love to put them in bag as gifts this way the entire gift is usable "Go Green" does anyone have pattern? Thank you
    Old 02-09-2012, 05:40 AM

I would think a pillowcase with a drawstring in the hem would work. There are tutorials for pillowcases online here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYWCma9wgM
    Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 AM
    Power Poster

dilyn's bag is gorgeous! If anyone is looking for it, here it is - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t178233.html She says that she didn't use a pattern, but modified one she found on the board. Maybe you could ask her which one she used.

If that doesn't work out, I think you could use this pattern - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional...item589022e75b

I made it up as a travel bag. The directions were pretty easy to follow, and it has lots of zippered compartments, places on the side for a water bottle (or baby bottle). It would work great for a baby tote, but not as a quilt storage bag (too many compartments). For that I think something simpler would be better. So it depends on what you're looking for.
    Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 AM

There is a free bag pattern from Red Rooster Fabrics. I've made it and it goes together so well and she could use it to pack her clothes in for an overnight at Grandmas. I've used mine to put quilts in when I want to take them for show and tell.

http://www.redroosterfabrics.com/con...ls.php/id/9118
    Old 02-09-2012, 07:43 AM
    Power Poster

The Mondo bag is big enough for a king size quilt. It's great as an overnight bag or toy tote, or to take fabric shopping. It holds a lot!
    Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by silvam
    Hi Everyone - I have a question I saw a post by dilyn "Baby Quilt & Bag" how awesome - the bag is what I need to make I'm making quilts for my granddaughters and would love to put them in bag as gifts this way the entire gift is usable "Go Green" does anyone have pattern? Thank you
    I made a quilt and matching bag, but I just cut the bag to hold story books----------big enough for an 11X14 book. The quilt also fit into it quite well. I made up the pattern as I went. Basically two sides of 12x15 with a strip about 4 1/2 inches for the sides and bottom. Oh, and straps, and a simple fold over closure in the center.
    Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 AM

In the book Fat Quarter Quilts there is a great bag that I made for carrying quilts. Its kind of a sling bag with draw string handles and wide elastic on the sides. So many people in our guild have made them to bring show and tell quilts. You can get more than 1 quilt in it. It can be spread wide open so a folded quilt can lay in it. No stuffing required!
    Old 02-09-2012, 10:35 AM

Default Pattern for a bag to hold quilts

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and helpful hints - this is wonderful - You all are so knowledgeable and that you are willing to help other is outstanding - In my humble opinion the Quilting Board is great because of all of you - your willingness to share - Thank you once again silvam
    Old 02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
    Power Poster

Here is the description of what a lot of my guild members use for quilt bags. Take a large square of heavy fabric, hem all around and fold over to opposite corners to make triangles. Stitch the triangle corners down leaving space for a 1 inch diameter 18" long wooden dowel to to go through the flap. The other two opposite corners put velcro closures on each one. Put several quilts in the middle, fold the two velcro corners in on top of the quilts and pick up the other two corner with the dowel rod handles. I use to have a pattern but can't find it. Once you seen one you can make one. I'll try and get a picture at next guild meeting.
    Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 AM

I make pillow cases with left over fabric from the quilt sometimes to put the quilt in, especially when giving it as a gift.