• Main
  • Pattern doesn't show which fabric to use >
  • Pattern doesn't show which fabric to use

• Pattern doesn't show which fabric to use

Old 11-09-2013, 05:33 AM

I always buy pattern. It's just easier.
    Old 11-09-2013, 07:10 AM

Good morning -

I am curious, based on comments about the importance of buying this pattern, where the difference is between making a quilt you see in a picture, on pinterest, etc, and making the quilt we're talking about here from the picture. It would seem like the same thing, yes? Don't all of you have big files of online pictures? Just curious.

Hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 11-09-2013, 03:49 PM

http://www.pinkchalkfabrics.com/inde...oducts_id=8630

middle of page is the list of fabrics used............
    Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM
    RST

"I am curious, based on comments about the importance of buying this pattern, where the difference is between making a quilt you see in a picture, on pinterest, etc, and making the quilt we're talking about here from the picture. It would seem like the same thing, yes? Don't all of you have big files of online pictures? Just curious."

I share your curiosity. Some patterns are so easy to execute that it boggles the mind that there actually is a pattern. And some patterns are so minimal and lacking in information, it further boggles the mind that they are called a pattern. When the designer gives very clear instruction, has an innovative method, lists yardages for for various sizes, includes tips and suggestions for fabric selection and quilting -- then yes, a pattern is a wonderful thing, and I buy my share.

But when it's a very obvious and basic piecing, and I'm honestly going to make it using methods I prefer and in a size that suits my needs, and I can construct a similar block without even measuring or drafting on paper-- sorry, not going to do it. That just gets silly.

There are etsy sellers who apparently believe that they invented a ninepatch and who want to sell you their pattern for making them. And furthermore, they expect you to credit them as inventor, each and every time you make a nine patch block. I actually had one of them contact me on pinterest to chastise me for not crediting her for the quilt I posted. Amusingly, I made the quilt in question before she was in kindergarten, which kind of took the wind out of her sails.
    Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM

The fabric is by Moda and its called Etchings - It was sold a couple of years ago - you may find some but it may take a while to find it. I believe the designer is Three Sisters - sometimes other lines will reflect closely in color to a previous line. Good luck
    Old 11-10-2013, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts

I am curious, based on comments about the importance of buying this pattern, where the difference is between making a quilt you see in a picture, on pinterest, etc, and making the quilt we're talking about here from the picture. It would seem like the same thing, yes? Don't all of you have big files of online pictures? Just curious.
    Originally Posted by RST
    I share your curiosity. Some patterns are so easy to execute that it boggles the mind that there actually is a pattern. And some patterns are so minimal and lacking in information, it further boggles the mind that they are called a pattern. When the designer gives very clear instruction, has an innovative method, lists yardages for for various sizes, includes tips and suggestions for fabric selection and quilting -- then yes, a pattern is a wonderful thing, and I buy my share.

But when it's a very obvious and basic piecing, and I'm honestly going to make it using methods I prefer and in a size that suits my needs, and I can construct a similar block without even measuring or drafting on paper-- sorry, not going to do it. That just gets silly.
    For me, the important questions are:
    1) Is it so obvious that I can figure it out myself, and/or is it a traditional block?
    2) Why was the picture on the internet - was the creator trying primarily to share what she/he had made, or were they trying to advertise a product they were selling?

If it's a traditional quilt, or something so dead simple I can make it without a pattern, I don't feel any obligation to buy the pattern.

If the creator just wanted to display their beautiful work, I might let them know I had been inspired by it, but as long they aren't trying to sell it, I don't feel an obligation to buy it.

If the creator posted the picture primarily to sell the pattern they had created (as is the case here), AND the piecing isn't especially simple/common (as is the case here), AND I can't figure out things that would be included in the pattern (as seems to be the case here), then I feel I should be paying for the pattern rather than asking other people to help me copy the creator's work.

There's a whole lot of grey area here, of course... what one person considers simple or common, another wouldn't. I guess what it boils down to is if I can't easily figure it out myself, and I'm taking away from someone else's livelihood by trying to exactly copy it, then I think I should pay for it. Other people will put those goalposts in different places, but from the comments in this thread, it seems that other people have them in roughly the same place. I also differentiate between being inspired by something, and trying to make an exact copy of it, but I think this explanation has been long-winded enough!

I hope this makes sense.
    Old 11-10-2013, 02:07 AM

I,ve seen it in moda collection
    Old 11-10-2013, 03:11 AM

Looks like moda 3 sisters fabrics. Look at their lines, you'll find similar patterns and color schemes

Looks like other beat me to the punch.....I read the comments after I posted.....I love moda fabrics
    Old 11-10-2013, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by RST

There are etsy sellers who apparently believe that they invented a ninepatch and who want to sell you their pattern for making them. And furthermore, they expect you to credit them as inventor, each and every time you make a nine patch block. I actually had one of them contact me on pinterest to chastise me for not crediting her for the quilt I posted. Amusingly, I made the quilt in question before she was in kindergarten, which kind of took the wind out of her sails.
    lol, great story ;-)
    Old 11-10-2013, 05:38 AM

I haven't made but a few quilts... but I always buy the pattern... I own my own retail stores and appreciate those who support my local business so I also like to support those who worked to design and took the time to create a pattern.