Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pattern help please! >
  • Pattern help please!

• Pattern help please!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:52 AM

Sorry but I am still learning the different patterns. What is a D9?
    Old 04-29-2009, 07:50 AM

Nice. I agree - you need a 5th fabric. I used to be a floral designer and we were taught that odd numbers are best, which I find has carried over into my quilting. I would go either very light or very dark for the 5th color. Be sure to post the finished product. I like the d9p idea. JMHO
    Old 04-29-2009, 12:26 PM

this would be the impossible dream, but if you could find a second print, larger scale, in any two of the colors that match, it would really pop!
    Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by chamby
    Sorry but I am still learning the different patterns. What is a D9?
    Disappearing nine patch. The quilt pictured had nine patches, each patch made with 6.5 inch blocks. Sew your nine patches, then cut them in half, both directions ... then turn each of those four pieces a quarter turn and VIOLA! You have the disappearing nine patch. The quilter chose to make white her major color and varied the contrasting colors in each nine patch, using five colored blocks and four white blocks, is what it looks like to me. It is beautiful, and easy, and fun to make ... I have never made one, but a lady visits the workday at the Post that I do every Tuesday. She uses different colors with not so much white, and it is still an attractive quilt, so I would think that as a scrap quilt it would be great!
    Someone will probably show up with the link that taught me all of this, but in case they dont', I figured I would give you a head start with instructions. Hope this helps.
    Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    That would be quite cool.

These are the fabrics... should have put the print on top, sorry, but you can sort of see what it looks like.
    i keep looking at the combo and thinking that the print doesn't look like your style at all. the bold colors, definitely. so, why not put the print aside for now and just go with the solids that i know you like? that will clear the way for whatever you choose to add, print, solid, sillies or what-not.

EDIT: i'm thinking it's a floral pattern. is that not right? a small flowery print?
    Old 04-29-2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the info! I was wondering myself what theD was. Knew it had to be something to do with a 9 patch, but figured someone would post the answer!!
    I am working on a baby blanket now that is a combination of turning 20 (there are only 8 fats) and stack and cut. It is pretty cute and easy. Next one I make will have only pastels. this one, a kit, has a lot of brights.
    Regards,
    Judith