Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pattern that uses 2 yard cuts of fabric? >
  • Pattern that uses 2 yard cuts of fabric?

• Pattern that uses 2 yard cuts of fabric?

Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM

A queen sized quilt will take about 10 yards of fabric (depending on the size of the pieces used). So look for a pattern that uses (or will work with) 5-6 different fabrics. Maybe a light, medium, and dark of each of two fabrics.
    Old 12-08-2013, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3
    Look for patterns that have no borders or large matching sashing. Think Turning Twenty for easy and many others to make them more complex. I have a bunch of patterns that use one yard of 5 different fabrics. Just add more to make more blocks. The following store has these patterns so you can see pictures on their website below, scroll down for Mustard Seed patterns.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...oks+&+Patterns
    I looked at all of the patterns but didn't find any from "mustard seed patterns". I googled also and found nothing. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Gayle
    Old 12-08-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson
    A queen sized quilt will take about 10 yards of fabric (depending on the size of the pieces used). So look for a pattern that uses (or will work with) 5-6 different fabrics. Maybe a light, medium, and dark of each of two fabrics.
    That's good to know Sue...I will look for patterns that seem to have 5 or 6 fabrics. Thanks.
    Old 12-08-2013, 09:39 PM

almost any pattern can be adapted , like was mentioned above, use 2 " green" fabrics instead of 1 to change it up a bit, or you can adapt the pattern itself ! make the blocks larger / smaller, make the sashing wider / thinner, add borders, take out borders ! the possibilities are endless ! Since most of the quilts I make tend ot use more background fabric then any other , I tend to buy more yardage in solids ( white, black, grey. beige etc...) then prints. Since I know it is the background fabric that needs toe most consistency, anything else is up for debate =]
    Old 12-09-2013, 12:02 AM

How about kaleidoscope/stack n whack type blocks? These can be very effective and if you leave the points on, they can intersect with each other similar to the twisted triangle log cabin. Then again, a twisted triangle log cabin would work, as would the following patterns. I love all these modern urban patterns!
    http://sewkindofwonderful.bigcartel....quilt-patterns
    Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 AM

Judy Niemeyer designed quilts generally use a lot of fabric, but in smaller cuts - some as small as 1/6 to 1/3 yards but in many different fabrics.
    Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by charsuewilson
    Charsuewilson is correct with the amount of fabric for a queen, Just for the backing requires almost 9 yards. I was looking at a QIAD queen size Triple Irish Chain. Fabric required are
    Color 1 1.75 yds
    Color 2 2.25 yds
    Color 3 2 yrds

plus 6.5 for the background.
    Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 AM

Thanks orangeroom for that link on blocks--I often see references to block names but didn't know what they were!
    Old 12-09-2013, 03:18 PM

I just made a mystery quilt where it called for larger cuts than I had. I I needed 3 yards of one color. I just used several different reds that I had that were about the same value. I just used then randomly. I did the same thing with the other colors in the quilt. It looks really good and it added some interest to the design. I also quit buying quilt backs trying to use up my stash. I piece them out of what I have.
    Old 12-09-2013, 06:10 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have the same problem. I have lots of 2 yard cuts and smaller in my stash. I don't want to buy more fabric either. I have a hard time finding patterns for the fabric I have, also. I feel your pain.