Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pay It Forward!! >
  • Pay It Forward!!

• Pay It Forward!!

Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 PM

This is so true. I too have always been the independent one thinking I could do everything on my own and turned down help. As many of you know, I had a bad experience with purchasing a quilting frame and being told it was all there and wasn't. I usually stay quite and not complain about such things but for some reason I did bring it up on this board. What I experienced from the generosity of two wonderful people on this board was amazing to me. Both Enerod and Shibori offered help and I almost said no, and I would work it out on my own. I guess I finally matured for something told me to accept their offers because it would not only make me feel good but would also make them feel good. I knew about feeling good from doing random acts of kindness but hadn't learned of allowing others do something for me. I will always remember these ladies and definitely paying it forward. This was a time that I truly felt there are Angels among us. I still tingle when I think about these ladies wanting to help me and being so kind.
    Yes this world really does look so much better when we see what can happen when people show the love in their hearts. Hugs to all yu wonderful people. Mary M

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    When you reach the point where you can gracefully and thankfully accept help, I think you have arrived at maturity. That is such a difficult thing to do for so many of us who were raised to be independent.
    Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 PM

Thesse stories were marvelous.
    Old 09-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
    Now she is someone we should all pitch in together and make her a quilt as her housewarming present!! She is a true success story

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    I am a firm believer in PAY IT FORWARD and WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

It was raining very hard one day. I saw a woman and child walking down the road. I stopped and asked if she needed a ride. She got in with her daughter and was told she was going to the Woman's shelter. She really did look worse for the wear and the daughter wasn't much better.

When we arrived, I could almost hear her relief. Before she got out I gave her $100 bill. She asked me for my name so she could pay me back. I said, "No, just don't let this be in vain. If ever you find someone else that needs help, please, do what you can." The woman smiled and said "Pay it forward"

Just a week ago, I stopped at the bank to make a deposit. (yahoo) I put my deposit in the canister and sent it on it's way. The canister came back with a two photos. One was the woman and her daughter taken about the time I had picked them up. The other was a photo of them today! I looked back at the bank and there she was waving wildly at me.

I went into the bank, she came running out, gave me a huge hug while she was crying. She said to another girl, "THIS IS THE LADY I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT!" She told me that day was a turning point for her. She said, "If someone thinks enough of me to give me this money, I'm not such a bad person afterall."

She got her GED, got a BS in Business, and is buying a small home for she and her daughter. Her daughter is doing very well in school and every night she prays "Bless the lady that has the white car." Needless to say, THAT has truly MADE MY YEAR!

For PAY IT FORWARD, she volunteers at the Woman's Shelter and helps other women get education and work to better themselves. BUT, she is still a single mother and loves it.

As hard as I tried to get thru these stories with dry eyes, this one did me in. It's so heartwarming to see a kind act thru to its end.
    Old 09-24-2010, 10:25 PM

My husband and I have always tried to Pay It Forward after we moved to this subdivision 37 years ago. I used to mow and weedeat the lawn of one of our neighbors who had MS. The giver does receive something in return when they pay it forward. They receive a blessing bigger than the gift or deed they give.

We are older now and I can't get out and mow like I used to, but we have an elderly neighbor lady who is homebound that we take her mail and newspaper in to her every day. We take her outgoing mail to the post office for her. She is a real blessing and encourager to us too.

Just a smile sometimes is a uplift to others, I know it is to me.
    Old 09-25-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    i save selvedges and crumbs too. old quilting mags. craft items and wool scraps. lace that i'll never use. off they go for credit in my next life. that's really paying forward.

i get squishies that i never knew i needed in return, in addition.
    that's the bonus part.
    Where do you send them I have alot of ribbon, lace and etc grand children are gone their ways I always saved for them to play with or decorate $1 teddy bears for their moms
    Old 09-25-2010, 07:39 AM

You can post right here on the quilting board if you have things to share, there is always a quilter out there that could use the boost in supplies because lifes situation hasn't been the best for them right at that time. Just let them know it is a pay it forward so they will know to pass on the good fortune when things turn around for them.
    Old 11-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Did I do a happy dance today or not???!!!!

Yes, I did.

I received a pay it forward package from Twinkie/Donna. I could not believe my eyes when I saw what she sent.

Twinkie/Donna, you will never know how much I appreciate the fabric you sent.

I will be happy to pay it forward. I had sent out a small pay it forward pkg. today.

May God Bless you!
    Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 PM

That was such a lovely story crashnquilt that I was getting teary eyed just reading it. What a wonderful and lovely thing to do. I too have always tried to help someone out whenever possible never expecting to get anything back in return. It just makes me feel good inside.
    Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM

We live in the country, raise cattle and my DH is also a preacher for a small church. Many of the people in the area are poor and in the present economy, have little hope. We and also the little church have helped many of these people. About a year ago, a family of 10 moved in across the road from us. The man was a welder, but couldn't seem to keep a job. His wife (they weren't actually married) was drawing a large welfare check. But word was, they would sell their food stamps for money to by booze and drugs. Many times the kids were left with some of the older ones all night while the parents were out partying. The worst part was that they would send the kids over to our house to beg for food! We cleaned out our freezer to make sure the kids got fed. The kids were sweet. One of the little girls who was ll wanted me to teach her to quilt. When I mentioned this on another quilting site, a wonderful quilter sent me two boxes of beautiful fabric. She said she was just cleaning out her stash and maybe I could use it for the little girl or do whatever I wanted with it. I started her out on a strip quilt two days a week. I kept one of my spare machines set up so she could use it when she came. I though the strip quilt would help her to learn to make 1/4 inch seams. She was really excited and did a pretty good job. Unfortunately for her, an aunt had turned the parents in to DHS and just before they were ready to come out and take the kids, the family moved back to the northern part of the state and she didn't get to finish the quilt. I hope she will remember her almost quilt. And I'm going to use the rest of the fabric that was sent to me for charity quilts.
    Old 11-16-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by sylviak
    We live in the country, raise cattle and my DH is also a preacher for a small church. Many of the people in the area are poor and in the present economy, have little hope. We and also the little church have helped many of these people. About a year ago, a family of 10 moved in across the road from us. The man was a welder, but couldn't seem to keep a job. His wife (they weren't actually married) was drawing a large welfare check. But word was, they would sell their food stamps for money to by booze and drugs. Many times the kids were left with some of the older ones all night while the parents were out partying. The worst part was that they would send the kids over to our house to beg for food! We cleaned out our freezer to make sure the kids got fed. The kids were sweet. One of the little girls who was ll wanted me to teach her to quilt. When I mentioned this on another quilting site, a wonderful quilter sent me two boxes of beautiful fabric. She said she was just cleaning out her stash and maybe I could use it for the little girl or do whatever I wanted with it. I started her out on a strip quilt two days a week. I kept one of my spare machines set up so she could use it when she came. I though the strip quilt would help her to learn to make 1/4 inch seams. She was really excited and did a pretty good job. Unfortunately for her, an aunt had turned the parents in to DHS and just before they were ready to come out and take the kids, the family moved back to the northern part of the state and she didn't get to finish the quilt. I hope she will remember her almost quilt. And I'm going to use the rest of the fabric that was sent to me for charity quilts.
    How sad that the little girl didn't get to finish her quilt - but good that she's out of that abusive home! She'll remember you and the lessons you gave her.