Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pay It Forward!! >
  • Pay It Forward!!

• Pay It Forward!!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 AM

That is sad about the preacher, but hopefully thru your actions, they will do better the next time. When I was a kid, my dad was a welder and every so often he would lose his job due to the oilfields. My mom didn't work at the time. I remember coming home from school and someone from our church had a truck load full of food for us. I thought it was so generous, especially since we were a family of 5. I never forgot that.
    Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 AM

What a wonderful gift of love!!
    Old 04-16-2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    I am a firm believer in PAY IT FORWARD and WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

It was raining very hard one day. I saw a woman and child walking down the road. I stopped and asked if she needed a ride. She got in with her daughter and was told she was going to the Woman's shelter. She really did look worse for the wear and the daughter wasn't much better.

When we arrived, I could almost hear her relief. Before she got out I gave her $100 bill. She asked me for my name so she could pay me back. I said, "No, just don't let this be in vain. If ever you find someone else that needs help, please, do what you can." The woman smiled and said "Pay it forward"

Just a week ago, I stopped at the bank to make a deposit. (yahoo) I put my deposit in the canister and sent it on it's way. The canister came back with a two photos. One was the woman and her daughter taken about the time I had picked them up. The other was a photo of them today! I looked back at the bank and there she was waving wildly at me.

I went into the bank, she came running out, gave me a huge hug while she was crying. She said to another girl, "THIS IS THE LADY I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT!" She told me that day was a turning point for her. She said, "If someone thinks enough of me to give me this money, I'm not such a bad person afterall."

She got her GED, got a BS in Business, and is buying a small home for she and her daughter. Her daughter is doing very well in school and every night she prays "Bless the lady that has the white car." Needless to say, THAT has truly MADE MY YEAR!

For PAY IT FORWARD, she volunteers at the Woman's Shelter and helps other women get education and work to better themselves. BUT, she is still a single mother and loves it.
    Okay, I'm crying now. And I'm at work. Bless you! Bless you! bless you!
    Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM

This is a tear-jerker! What a wonderful experience!
    Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM

What is the Sale page? How do I find it?
    Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by penny doty
    when I was working, I gave a lady $100.00 to buy her kids Christmas gifts, and one day at Joann's there was this sweet little lady counting her money, the lady asked her what she was making and that sweet little lady was making quilts for foster children, so I told her to put her money away and get all the fabric she wanted and I paid for it. I have payed peoples rent,electric,water bills and I have put food on many tables, and I have raised three extra boys because there parents were on drugs and I did not want to see these children in the system. know I can not help anyone and I have had to ask for fabric from the people on this board so I could learn to quilt. Penny
    Penny, God has created an opportunity for you to receive. You paid forward. Remember, what goes around comes around and it is coming back to you now. I pray you will continue to receive blessings in abundance for the blessings you have given to others.
    Old 04-16-2010, 10:00 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I am so mad I wrote this whole thing out and then my page was gone. I will try this again if I can remember what I said the first time.

I could write a book on hardship, kindness and paying it forward. Our family had about a year where things were extremely tough and we had to rely on others for such things as food, paying bills, gas and other household items. It is hard to be humbled in such a way when you are used to having all that you need. At first I think we didn't want to admit that we were in need but when it got to the point where we couldn't buy food or pay the bills we had to find help somewhere. There was times that I didn't eat so the kids would have food. My DH worked evenings so he didn't really understand what was going on and when it hit him it really hurt cause he didn't feel like he was a provder for his family. When we finally asked for help it started coming out of the wood work. Not 1 single person wanted us to repay them in any way. So I have been paying it forward for years and will continue to do so for years to come.
    Unfortunatley I have learned that there are people out there that only want a hand out that don't want to work and provide for themselves and then they selfishly complain or grip about what you did for them because it wasn't exactly what they wanted. I know that there are people that can't due to medical reasons so please don't get me wrong, I am more than happy to help those and those that are just down on their luck.
    Now I owe you all a heart felt thank you because of what you all did for me and didn't even know it. Back in 2006 when I was Pregnant and losing my mind due to hormones going wacky I found the QB while searching the net for something to help me get control of things. I would sit for hours and read the QB and I would forget my problems and be able to relax. I couldn't quilt cause I couldn't sit and do it, didn't occupy me enough. I kept a dairy of that time and when I go back and read it I realize just how messed up I was and it scares me to think my family had to deal with that. So here is a big {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}} and grateful thank you to all who allowed me into your quilting world even though you didn't know it. Paying it forward to me means that we are way better off now plus I enjoy it. But I would never keep track of how many times I received help, that doesn't matter what matters is that I will spend the rest of my life paying it forward again and again.
    Old 04-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Amen!
    Old 04-16-2010, 10:15 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Jshep
    What is the Sale page? How do I find it?
    It is the classifieds where members buy/ sell/ and trade items. Go to the quilting forum and scroll down til you come to it.
    Old 04-16-2010, 05:42 PM

I had no idea that by my simply helping out with a few blocks would lead to so many great stories.