Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pay It Forward!! >
  • Pay It Forward!!

• Pay It Forward!!

Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bj
    One morning the person in front of me paid for my order at McDonald's, so I paid for the order behind me. When I went the next time, the girl working the window was the same one as that other morning and she said it was a 10 order run until it got to a man who only bought coffee and wasn't all about paying for a big order that was next in line. I thought it was awesome that it went that long.
    What great samples of "pay it fwd". I first heard the term from Oprah. She gave everybody in the audience $1,000 & were told to pay it fwd. Then later, she had those people report in on what they did. Great idea. Some surprisingly wonderful things happened.
    Pat
    Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 PM

i never knew what it was called till now thats sounds like a great idea
    Old 04-17-2010, 03:34 AM

The last few posts on this thread made me think about paying it forward another way. I've always been pretty independent. If I couldn't do it, I could afford to pay someone or find a friend of a friend to do it for me. I prided myself on my ability to take care of myself and my daughter. Now that I'm 69 (how did that happen?) with all the limits aging causes, I'm finding myself accepting help a lot more. As much as I'd rather continue to be independent, I can't. BUT everytime someone helps me out, I'm helping them pay it forward. That's a huge gift for me to give them.
    Old 04-17-2010, 05:29 AM

When you reach the point where you can gracefully and thankfully accept help, I think you have arrived at maturity. That is such a difficult thing to do for so many of us who were raised to be independent.
    Old 04-17-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    When you reach the point where you can gracefully and thankfully accept help, I think you have arrived at maturity. That is such a difficult thing to do for so many of us who were raised to be independent.
    You all give me something to think about. I never thought of letting somebody help me as them paying it fwd. I have always been very independent, too, being a 20 yr. Navy wife. Since losing my husb. recently, I have neighbors who bawl me out for not letting people help me. I'm learning that I HAVE to. I ask lots of questions about how to do things but am learning to lighten up & let them help more. I know how good I feel when I help somebody else.

Pat G
    Old 04-17-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    I am a firm believer in PAY IT FORWARD and WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND.

It was raining very hard one day. I saw a woman and child walking down the road. I stopped and asked if she needed a ride. She got in with her daughter and was told she was going to the Woman's shelter. She really did look worse for the wear and the daughter wasn't much better.

When we arrived, I could almost hear her relief. Before she got out I gave her $100 bill. She asked me for my name so she could pay me back. I said, "No, just don't let this be in vain. If ever you find someone else that needs help, please, do what you can." The woman smiled and said "Pay it forward"

Just a week ago, I stopped at the bank to make a deposit. (yahoo) I put my deposit in the canister and sent it on it's way. The canister came back with a two photos. One was the woman and her daughter taken about the time I had picked them up. The other was a photo of them today! I looked back at the bank and there she was waving wildly at me.

I went into the bank, she came running out, gave me a huge hug while she was crying. She said to another girl, "THIS IS THE LADY I WAS TELLING YOU ABOUT!" She told me that day was a turning point for her. She said, "If someone thinks enough of me to give me this money, I'm not such a bad person afterall."

She got her GED, got a BS in Business, and is buying a small home for she and her daughter. Her daughter is doing very well in school and every night she prays "Bless the lady that has the white car." Needless to say, THAT has truly MADE MY YEAR!

For PAY IT FORWARD, she volunteers at the Woman's Shelter and helps other women get education and work to better themselves. BUT, she is still a single mother and loves it.
    Beautiful, beautiful!! :cry:
    Old 04-17-2010, 08:23 AM

I've always been very independent, and now at age 69, find that I need help with some things. Dang! Where did I put my glasses this time?! Foe the first time EVER, I'm thinking about not putting in a garden.............. :?
    Old 04-17-2010, 12:24 PM

My hubby and I often try to help someone who is hungry..we have all seen the fellow standing on the road with a sign that says "will work for food"....we go to the nearest drive thru and get them food,( like McDonalds or Subway) and take it back to them. That way, we know they have something to eat; its better than handing them money, which could be used for cigarettes, drugs, etc.
    Old 04-17-2010, 12:49 PM

A few yrs. ago, I heard a discussion on TV about the people standing on corners "begging" for $. At the end of the talk it was said that we give to those people because it makes US feel good.
    Next time I was out, I saw a 30ish looking woman on the corner begging for $. Since I was waiting for a red light to turn, I took $5 from my purse & handed it to her. She noticed the cappucino I had in my car. She said "oh, that looks so good. I think I'll go get me one". WHAAAAT? How can she afford that if she's so desperate for $. I wished I could reach out & take my $ back. That was my last time for that method of "paying it fwd.". So much for making me feel good. LOL

Pat
    Old 04-17-2010, 01:20 PM

That is a very sweet story "crashnquilt" and I'm happy for you. Many times I wish I was more adventurous and less afraid. I think in that situation, I might have been fearful for my own personal welfare and might not have picked them up, but I thank God for people like you. However, I do try and be aware of people around me who might need a little help. We CAN change the world, one person at a time!