Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pay It Forward!! >
  • Pay It Forward!!

• Pay It Forward!!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Reading all the stories is very humbling.

A new 'puter term-PIF-paying it forward.
    Old 04-20-2010, 01:01 PM

Thanks for brightening my day. I believe in paying it forward. When I was teaching, I mentioned this on occasion to my students. Near the end of the one school year, the guidance counselor said she had noted a change in many of my students. They were simply practicing what I had shared with them, and they were more optimistic because of it. Funny how it all works out!
    Old 04-20-2010, 01:20 PM
    Google Goddess

I have enjoyed reading this thread
    Old 04-20-2010, 01:28 PM

What a great thread. My daughter and I try to do a RAK every day if we can. And it can be as simple as opening a door. Having worked in retail I try to be as nice to others as possible.I have had a cashier tell me I made her day. Because everyone else had been so grumpy or rude.All I did was smile and talk to her like a person. To me its no big thing.
    Money wise I can't help but I do foster dogs mostly puppies.
    I love the stories. They are wonderful.
    Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 PM

Your story brought tears to my eyes! Bless you for believing in that woman in her time of need. You truly changed two lives.

Here's my story: I was sitting in my car, waiting for my take out chicken dinner. Next door there was a modest, poorly maintained house. On the porch, an older woman was putting cat food in a dish, with several cats circling the bowl around her ankles.

I mentioned to the employee that I saw she fed the stray cats, who were drawn to the area by the chicken smells. The employee expressed her concern for the neighbor, saying they took excess food over to her so she could eat, as she spent her grocery money on feeding the stray cats.

I drove to the grocery store across the street, bought some cans of cat food, some fresh fruit and cookies for a little treat, and took the bag back to the restaurant. I wrote on the bag "from a fellow cat lover", and asked the employee to deliver it to the woman so she wouldn't see me or be embarrassed.

I have practiced random acts of kindness and pay it forward for years. I love the movie, and always cry, no matter how many times I watch it.
    Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Being a nurse, I believe our training makes us able to talk to almost anyone. As I go about my day, I speak to people I pass on the street, other customers in a store, people in the same elevator, anywhere I may be. It can be as simple as a "good morning", or a comment about the weather, whatever you are comfortable saying, as long as it is pleasant and there's a smile in your voice.

Every parent likes to hear something kind about their child, or how pretty that color looks on them, it can be just about anything you notice. You would be surprised how few people don't respond or at least smile back. It doesn't cost me a thing, only a few seconds effort, and it pays me back just seeing people react.

My late mother was very shy, and she always marveled that I would speak to almost anyone. Why not? We all like to be recognized as unique human beings.
    Old 04-20-2010, 02:20 PM

Funny June, I just had this experience the other night. I was leaving Aldi's, and offered my cart to the next shoppers. The man already had his coins in his hand, and insisted I take it. We both went away smiling. I tossed the coin in my grandkids' bank.
    Old 04-20-2010, 02:44 PM

I was trying to think of what I've done that stands out- I try to be nice to everyone (my coworker says I'm TOO nice) and make them feel special.

But I was thinking- about 3 weeks ago I helped a couple. They are both disabled, he walks with a cane and doesn't get around well. She has diabetes and heart problems. I got a call from a friend who is a mortgage broker- they were signing a gas lease and would get a big sign on bonus, with which they would pay off their mortgage. Problem- they are in foreclosure proceedings. Gas co. wants a subordination. they have these docs- so I sit down with them and help them. They send it in- they are waiting. Yesterday they get more docs from the lender- do they want to modify their mortgage? We sat down for an hour and I helped them fill them out and made copies for them.

I know they are not the cleanest or richest people, but they are salt of the earth- they will pay it forward because that's the kind hearted people they are. And it felt good knowing I could help them and they didn't have to pay someone or have someone take advantage of them.

(But the gas co. decided they won't wait for the subordination and has decided not to pay the sign on bonus- grrr.)

And I do this because once upon a time I too was divorced, unemployed with 3 little ones and my sister stepped up to the plate and provided Christmas for them- including outfits. She knows she can ask for the world and I would give it to her because she came through for me. (Oh, I went to the Salvation Army that year to get a toy for each of my kids. I went to the door- saw the people and said- I can't do it- they need it more than me.)

Another little one- in line at Wal-Mart- mom in front of me was short about 5.00 for her bill. She told her kids they had to put back a box of locally made pizza (my kids love it too). I said to the girl quickly- wait- let me pay for it and you take it home. She didn't want to accept it- but I told her I know how kids love it- and she took it. She must have thanked my 10 times and the kids were so excited.

I try to be good- sometimes I have to work real hard to get Evil Barb to stay quiet. (that's what I call myself if I am teetering on the edge of being nasty)
    Old 04-20-2010, 03:14 PM

i just cleaned out my linen closet and gave away all my extra+ towels, tea towels, bath towels, washcloths, and sheets and pillows to a young girl with 3 kids, who i knew was recently seperated. and i was more than generoues with my choices. it made me feel as good as it did her.

she even got a couple blankets in the deal.
    Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
    Power Poster

Such wonderful stories. Never heard the expression before. Will never forget it again.