Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pay it Forward >
  • Pay it Forward

• Pay it Forward

Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 AM

A few weeks ago when I went to Hobby Lobby and was checking out - I said - "Oh shoot - I forgot my 40% off coupon". The lady behind me said - "Here - I have an extra one" I thanked her and used it on a pack of Fat Quarters $9.99 less the 40%.

Ever since then, when I go to Hobby Lobby - I print out 2 coupons - one for myself and one for someone behind me. The last time - the coupon got passed back about 3 or 4 people because the others behind me didn't have any regular priced items and couldn't use the coupon.

Cindy
    Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Riversong
    When I was growing up in the country"Paying it Forward"was a lifestyle ..and also bartering. Thats kind of a lost art.(quilters still do it :))
    I was kind of thinking the same thing.

Don't people do this anyway...without having to be told to do it?

I mean, don't you sometimes give cookies away or make cakes for people who need encouragement or push a car that is stuck in the snow, or open the door for someone, or take a picture of a couple with their own camera while on holiday because they can't take a picture of themselves, etc. without any expectation of a gift, repayment or money?

I know that traditionally sewers and I think quilters, couponers, and people who bake, can, or make jam/jelly, and do traditional "homey" type things, do this kind of thing all the time--as a way of life.

Maybe it is just my circle of friends... :) This group is a pretty generous group, BTW, IMO So are people who listen to Old Time radio and couponers.
    Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Yup, always carry extra coupons when I go into Hobby Lobby.

Also, anytime I go to the Department of Motor Vehicle to get my license renewed, and I have to "take a number", I always take 2 numbers...and then I watch for some unsuspecting person that comes in long after me, and give them the other number tag. The last person I gave one too, thanked me over and over...she had just come from the hospital trying to beat the clock and renew her license, and then had to rush back to the hospital. That made my heart smile so BIG to know that somehow, in the littlest way, I was able to help her out...and it didn't cost me a penny.
    Old 12-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Recent example: I had a scrap of a print someone needed, maybe a fat eighth. Why should she have to use a stamp to "pay" me for something that small? Pay it Forward just asks her to send a piece to someone else who needs it, instead of paying me back.
    Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 PM

i have always tried to pay it foward today i was on the receiving end thanks to a mother and two college boys they came over and put up my wreath and blew off my sidewalks and drive oak trees make a mess thin time of the year leaves acorns and branches the boys said if i needed any help just call and when they are home on the week ends they would help me. THEY REFUSED TO EXCEPT ANY MONEY ( not yelling just suprised).
    Old 12-11-2010, 01:51 PM

I would suggest renting the movie. You might want a box of tissues by you when watching.
    Old 12-11-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    Yup, always carry extra coupons when I go into Hobby Lobby.

Also, anytime I go to the Department of Motor Vehicle to get my license renewed, and I have to "take a number", I always take 2 numbers...and then I watch for some unsuspecting person that comes in long after me, and give them the other number tag. The last person I gave one too, thanked me over and over...she had just come from the hospital trying to beat the clock and renew her license, and then had to rush back to the hospital. That made my heart smile so BIG to know that somehow, in the littlest way, I was able to help her out...and it didn't cost me a penny.
    That's a FABULOUS idea!
    Old 12-11-2010, 02:15 PM

For me it's a way of life and I'm proud that my daughter's have adopted that way also. My parents always did something nice for someone without expecting anything in return. I feel very blessed to have a wonderful, healthy family and to have all the things that I do. If I can make someone else happy by a kind word, a small deed or an unexpected gift, why not? I think this entire board believes the same - everyone is so kind and generous.
    Old 12-11-2010, 03:33 PM

Sometimes it's just acting on an impulse to do something for someone in some small way...that ends up making a big difference.
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:34 AM

This is the way you (we) can do our part in making our country nicer. I think the country has forgotten the meaning of be a good neighbor, be a good friend, etc. I now live in a very small town (moved from Denver) and the very thought of someone in need is lifted to the community and everyone in some way helps.