Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pay it Forward >
  • Pay it Forward

• Pay it Forward

Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM

A lady I was talking to in IHOP left before I did. When I left, the server told me my meal had already been paid. I try to PIF anytime I can.
    Old 12-12-2010, 04:17 PM

Actually, if one were to be on each end of giving and receiving ( and know how good it feels to give - such a warm and cozy feeling) and then in order to receive we might have to make our needs known, which is a very humbling experience. It doesn't feel good to have to ask. (Others don't always see the need you sorely might have) (I don't drive and hate to ask for rides).
    Anyway, having been on both sides of the fence, I'd much rather be the giver than the receiver ( If I have to ask for it) Of course if the 'gift' comes unexpectedly as if someone read your mind, that's a lot different. Then you can bask in the warmth that someone knew your need before you had to ask.
    Anyway, just my little piece if life's learning lessons to share with you drawn from my years past and present.
    Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Someone does something nice for you. Rather than do something nice for them, you do something nice for another person when it is needed.
    Old 12-12-2010, 04:47 PM

There is a wonderful lady on this board that is helping me right now. Our rescue is auctioning off a quilt on eBay to raise money for our no-kill shelter, and she took down the item number and sent it to all her rescue friends. They have started bidding on the quilt, and I am hopeful that we will have a successful auction.
    I can't wait to pay that forward!
    Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by pab
    I like your philosophy of paying forward.It need not be a gift but rather just a good deed,a smile,a warm hello ,or just understanding someone else's plight. Thanks...pab
    I think it's an ad for Liberty Mutual (or some other big corp) which has this feature -- a guy picking up a baby's dropped toy, then the mom holding open a door for some else, and on down the line -- or something to that effect. Don't usually like most ads, but this one is good with the right message.
    Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 PM

My husband and I have occasionally paid for a young family's dinner in a resturant without their knowledge. I remember when we were that young and had no money.... great feeling to help someone if they need it or to treat them if they don't.
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Evie
    Originally Posted by pab
    I like your philosophy of paying forward.It need not be a gift but rather just a good deed,a smile,a warm hello ,or just understanding someone else's plight. Thanks...pab
    I think it's an ad for Liberty Mutual (or some other big corp) which has this feature -- a guy picking up a baby's dropped toy, then the mom holding open a door for some else, and on down the line -- or something to that effect. Don't usually like most ads, but this one is good with the right message.
    SO GLAD YOU MENTION LIBERTY MUTUAL - & THEIR LYING PAY IT FORWARD AD- THAT AD APPEARED ON TV RIGHT AFTER LIBERTY MUTAL CANCELED OVER 100,000 FL HOMEOWNERS POLICIES - NOT BECAUSE ANY OF US HAD FILED A CLAIM - BUT BECAUSE THE PENCIL PUSHER AT THE TOP FELT THAT FL WAS DUE FOR A POSSIBLE HIT FROM A HURRICANE - & DIDN'T WANT TO HAVE TO PAY OUT ANY CLAIMS - FOR THIS POSSIBLE STORM IN THE FUTURE-

We had been insured by them for over 30 yrs when they cancelled us - Their commercial makes be laugh everytime I see it.
    Old 12-12-2010, 05:40 PM

When I was a child some 50 years ago my grandmother told me: when someone did something nice for you, you did not have to return the favor to that person. You are expected to do something nice for someone else whenever the opportunity presents itself. Is this paying it forward or the story of the good samaritan.
    Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Faiwee
    When I was a child some 50 years ago my grandmother told me: when someone did something nice for you, you did not have to return the favor to that person. You are expected to do something nice for someone else whenever the opportunity presents itself. Is this paying it forward or the story of the good samaritan.
    This is Paying It Forward. Both are. To have something done for you and to return a kindness to someone else entirely without being asked or told to. To go and do likewise.
    Old 12-12-2010, 08:01 PM

We have 2 widows and an elderly couple in our nieghborhood. Every time it snows Everyone else tries to beat everyone else to their driveways and sidewalks. Sometimes there are 3 or four doing the same sidewalk! I love our neighborhood.