Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Peeling Olfa mat >
  • Peeling Olfa mat

• Peeling Olfa mat

Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 AM

I used a big mat from JoAnns for about 15 years with no problems. Bought a Martelli at the Knoxville Quilt Show last summer, and what an improvement. Much easier to cut on and the lavender and yellow show up the fabric. Hubby is still using the big one from Joanns in his workshop.

Have the Olfas and notice the gouges don't heal too well; the same with the June Taylor. Love my Martelli.
    Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    I was just at Joann's today and was looking at their mats; boy before I even got to the isle they were in, I could SMELL THEM!! Nope, I didn't buy one either.
    I forget which thread but the smell issue has come up before. Again, memory fails me (on which brand), but I bought a new mat the other day. It's one of those two piece ones where the top is designed to rotate easily. Although the top slips off the bottom, it is really handy when trimming small pieces. However, it SMELLS! Didn't notice the smell in the store but sure did at home.

This discussion is very interesting. One of my large mats (I have two that cover my 6' table) is beginning to show some wear after 15 yrs of use. Still usable but I was thinking of buying a new one at Joann's using a coupon. If the quality isn't up to snuff anymore, I will rethink my purchase. Wouldn't you just love to have some way of assessing the monetary impact of this thread? :!:
    Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by mar32428
    Let the head honcho know that you have notified the other quilter on this connection and they are passing the information on to their quilting groups. That should get some attention. They don't want publicity.
    I don't think that they realize that quilters talk to each other. Bad publicity like this could cause them a lot of money in the end. We have blogs, we belong to quilt guilds with 200 members, we put messages on boards. I own Olfa mats, but when I purchase a new one, your picture will come to mind. I'm not sure my replacement will be an Olfa. I will also mention this to my friends and ask other quilters if they have had a problem. See it has started already.
    Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM

Try putting it in a garbage bag & put in dryer sheets & close. That may help the smell. I have also heard wadded newspaper will absorb odors.
    Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 PM

Sewsilly, I was hoping someone would consider sending this link on this to Olfa. I can't believe how much business they have now lost due to this really bad publicity. Never mess with a quilter.
    Old 01-15-2010, 12:17 PM
    Power Poster

Two June Tailors and one Duraheal. No problems.

If anyone told me that I was cutting wrong, I would be telling them about the Better Business Bureau.
    Old 01-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Nursie76, that is exactly how I use mine, with no problem, I have had mine for 24 years. It is like the June Taylors, people love them but they are hard and will dull a blade more quickly. I use my white one for large pieces and otherwise use my Olfa 18x24. It is nice to have that large mat to cover the table.
    Originally Posted by nursie76
    Gosh, hubby just got me one of the table sized white cutting mats from Joann's for Christmas and I love it! Makes cutting long strips so much easier. I will have to remember not to use it unless necessary for the larger pieces.
    Old 01-15-2010, 01:25 PM
    Power Poster

Today I bought another mat to replace my badly warped one.

I got a fiskars from walmart. Yellow on one side, green on the other. 24 X 36 for $28. No smell either!!
    Old 01-15-2010, 01:46 PM

I got a fiskars from walmart. Yellow on one side, green on the other. 24 X 36 for $28. No smell either!!
    Yes, but did you use your 40% off coupon? ;)
    Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tiffany

Yes, but did you use your 40% off coupon? ;)
    No. I used a gift card I got for x-mas

:D