Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Percent of quilters using glue >
  • Percent of quilters using glue

• Percent of quilters using glue

Old 05-26-2024, 03:30 AM

I found out years ago that Roxanne's glue is the same as Elmer's. This was shared with me by the owner of a glue manufacturing plant. After Roaxannes was sold, her daughter admitted the two water based glues were pretty much the same.,DON'T waste your fabric dollars on Roxanne's.
    Old 05-26-2024, 04:20 AM

I've been using Elmer's Glue for years when I go to attach my binding onto the quilt. I add a dab of glue and then press. This eliminates having to use pins and getting stabbed. Also, this way I know I have enough binding to go around, everything is in place and I can just stitch around the entire quilt. Also I use it when I have difficult pieces that needs to match up perfectly, again no pins to stab me.

I also used it when I was trying to match 2 pieces of backing. I folded and pressed one seam, then matched it with a bit of glue and pressed. No one was the wiser that it was 2 pieces of fabric............but me. The backing was a bunch of bicycles on black background fabric.
    Old 05-26-2024, 05:15 AM

I have never glue basted a quilt. I use a spray baste from Jo Ann's and pick it up when it is ons sale. Like the results. I have used glue once when I have a tricky pattern and I wanted to keep points perfect. A dot of glue a touch of the iron and , yes, it worked well. Might do again.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 05-26-2024 at 05:17 AM.
    Old 05-26-2024, 06:22 AM
    Power Poster

I use Roxanne's because I have a case of it. LOL A friend bought it at going out of business auction for $3. . I keep them sealed in a big zip lock bag inside a plastic shoe box. So far the glue has not dried out.

If you let the glue dry when basting a quilt and it seems to wrinkle that is because the water had evaporated. I glue baste my quilts and it may be a few months before i get to them. I steam press them and they are flat and smooth. I use a glue roller that put a thin layer of glue on the batting. A poster here gave that tip. It is fast and and every inch is basted.

I am using Acorn precision glue and I'm not impressed enough to buy it again but I do like the bottle and tip. May try to refill it with Elmers.
    Old 05-26-2024, 07:52 AM

I use glue stick (for the outer inch or so), along with pins on the bottom nested seams that face the feed dogs. When sewing rows together for example. On the photo below, I'm sewing two rows together. The top two yellow pins are pinned through glued nested seams on the row below (for example). I find this prevents any "creased-the-wrong-way" seams.
    Attached Thumbnails pinsandglue.jpg  
    Old 05-26-2024, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by KathyM
    Does glue help keep points in place before sewing? Hope that questions makes sense.
    Yes it makes sense, and yes it helps with points and matching seams. Here's how I do it:
    I take a pin and stick it through the first patch, right where I want the seams or points to match, then I line it up with the second patch. Stick the pin in my ironing board pad so it won't move around or shift. Gently lift up the top layer, add a couple of dots of washable glue, push the fabric straight down on the pin so the 2 layers are lined up correctly. Then press to dry the glue. At that point I can sew my quarter-inch seam with confidence. I can use a stiletto to gently pull apart the tiny dots of glue, if I need to, they pop apart easily.
    Old 05-26-2024, 09:21 AM

I am also an Elmer's School glue baster!!! Never will I go back to spray or pins!
    Old 05-26-2024, 10:11 AM

In spite of my extensive pin collection, I use glue fairly often. I spray baste all my sandwiches and have tried the Elmer's in a glue roller once. I may try again. I use school glue on seams that are on the bias especially if they are smaller pieces. I also have a stick of 505 temporary glue and use it on seams.

Glue and pins galore and STILL not everything lines up perfectly all the time.
    Old 05-26-2024, 01:30 PM

I have been using Elmer's Glue for basting quilts, as I am too old to crawl around on the floor to thread baste as I used to. I buy glue by the gallon and love this method. I also was taught, many years ago, to glue baste applique seam allowances under before stitching. That worked ok-ish, but I didn't like how difficult it was to get the needle through glue-stiffened fabric. I prefer either needle turn or else freezer paper as an applique technique.
    Old 05-26-2024, 07:45 PM

Thank you, Peggi for sharing your technique for matching points. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.