Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • perfect circles >
  • perfect circles

• perfect circles

Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM

I cannot make circles either. This is my method for the center of my Dresden plates that may work for you too.
    First I find a cup, bowl, saucer, lid, etc. to use as a pattern for the size I want.
    I trace it on the smooth side of light non-woven interfacing with a colored 'sharpie' to match the circle fabric (just in case it 'shows' through).
    I then layer interfacing and fabric, (right side to bumpy side) then stitch the circle slowly, following the line I drew.
    When finished sewing, trim fabric about 1/8 from stitching around outer edge.
    Make a slit in the interfacing near the center. Turn right side out.
    Now you have to decide if you need to trim most of the center away, or work with it in place. For hand applique I leave it in, then trim it CAREFULLY away from the back after sewing, but for machine applique I trim most of it away leaving about 1/4 inch around. Iron in place, than stitch using method of my choice.
    I learned this from Eleanor Burns. Works for any circle size.
    Old 08-14-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by mariebaker
    Originally Posted by cmrenno
    Make a template the size of the finished circle (from cardboard.) Cut a fabric circle one inch larger. Sew a running stitch around the fabric circle. Place the template inside the fabric circle and draw up the thread. Knot it off. Lightly spray with starch. Press. Remove basting thread and cardboard and there you have a perfect circle. You may want to press again. When you get to where you do a lot of these I recomend heat proof template plastic from the quilt shop. You can use it over and over. Good luck with your project!
    thanks for the instructions. I have used freezer paper in the past, but this sounds even more precise :-D
    I like your method also.
    Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Hi,

I have one of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=180NDoeRGDU

Hugs
    Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM

Best way - get the circle templates and use them. Walmart has a 1/2 circle template set. I am sure you can get the full circles from any quilt shop or online at one of our catalog places. It will make a difference using the circle!

Originally Posted by sisLH
    HELP please! I CANNOT make ggod circles by hand or by machine. I can cut out good circles but how can I attach them and still have them look circular?! I want to do a Mariner's Compass. While I have seen them with no circle in the center, that is the pattern that I prefer. I skip other patterns because of this circle problem. How do you get yours the best way?
    Old 08-14-2011, 01:28 PM

The quickest way I have found to do circles is, take a thumb tack and some blue painters tape. Decide how big you want your circle, lets say 3", then you put the thumb tack, pointed side up, 1 1/2 inches from needle(1/2 of circle size). Put the center of the fabric on the thumb tack, take a cork (from the wine bottle) and put on top of the tack, sew slowly with short stitches. Do a little guiding and you get a circle.
    Old 08-14-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    I use Karen Kay Buckleys 'perfect circle' templates.... they come in lots of sizes and work very very well.
    That's what I use - they are great!
    Old 08-14-2011, 02:06 PM

I've seen lots of Mariners Compass patterns done with paper piecing. I totally agree about circles, they scare the crap out of me. When I do them by the pin method it never works.
    Old 08-14-2011, 03:46 PM

Great suggestions! Thanks to everyone that replied. I too have been "circleless". Maybe now I will try them!
    Old 08-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by sisLH
    To cmrenno and bluteddi --- I like your ideas on them and will try both as making them those ways sounds much easier. When I am doing the actual attaching of mine is when I have the most difficulty. I pin them nicely and think I am sewing them nicely but they look more like alien circles or weird ovals when I'm done. Any hints there??
    Elmer's Washable School Glue is the best if you're appliqueing. After you have made your circle, simply glue it down. When the glue dries (ironing helps), simply sew the circle down.

If you're inserting a circle into the center of a Mariner's Compass, you can cut a circle the correct size in a sheet of freezer paper. Place that carefully on the back of your mariner's compass, iron it in place, and then clip the circle and press the seam allowance out over the freezer paper. Then put glue on the seam allowance, place the fabric you want in the circle and let it dry. Take off the freezer paper and sew the circle down.

I'm making DH a Yin-Yang quilt and it's all seamed - no applique.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-241890.jpe  
    Old 08-14-2011, 04:44 PM

Here are the instructions I drafted for making the Yin-Yang Block.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-241896.jpe   attachment-241897.jpe   attachment-241898.jpe