Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist >
  • Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

• Perfectionist vs. Good Enoughist

Old 06-14-2019, 03:43 AM
    Power Poster

It’s supposed to be fun. Do the best you can at the moment and enjoy looking back and seeing how far you come over time. If you spend all your time stressing and redoing something over and over trying to reach perfection ( which, by the way is impossible and unrealistic- look at Nature’s *perfection- every leaf or snowflake different) you wind up losing the joy of creating. Do your best and move on. 10 years later you look at that quilt you made 10 years ago and see- wow, I’ve really come a long way! It doesn’t make you like it less, you just get to see and appreciate your improving skills.
    Old 06-14-2019, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    It’s supposed to be fun. Do the best you can at the moment and enjoy looking back and seeing how far you come over time. If you spend all your time stressing and redoing something over and over trying to reach perfection ( which, by the way is impossible and unrealistic- look at Nature’s *perfection- every leaf or snowflake different) you wind up losing the joy of creating. Do your best and move on. 10 years later you look at that quilt you made 10 years ago and see- wow, I’ve really come a long way! It doesn’t make you like it less, you just get to see and appreciate your improving skills.
    How True...I look back at some of my gifts to family when I started in 2007 and wish I could take them back...I've so improved and have moved on to more artsy stuff then just regular quilts and enjoy it so much more...more creative!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-14-2019 at 05:10 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 06-14-2019, 07:54 AM

Lets face it who of us sits down to our machines and thinks how sloppy or how to cut off points, or think I'll do 1/2 inch seams to go with all the 1/4 inch seams I've done so far. Some days things just turn out better than on other days, so I make what I call "planned overs" extra blocks so when putting them together I use the ones that fit best, then make a small wall quilt or a nap quilt,( one that is on top of quilt at the foot of the bed that you can nap under with out unmaking the bed.) or I can make hot pads, what ever the blocks will not go to waste. We all do the best we can, and thats a very good thing, after all I tell my class "in quilting nothing is written in stone"
    Old 06-16-2019, 03:44 AM

My parents said the same thing...But then they limited what they did...so to venture into quilting is humbling and frustrating until the project is done. Then mine are satisfying to me.
    Old 06-16-2019, 03:45 AM

Leeha, My parents said the same thing...But then they limited what they did...so to venture into quilting is humbling and frustrating until the project is done. Then mine are satisfying to me.
    Old 06-16-2019, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by jokir44
    With some of my housework I have decided to label myself as a "casual housekeeper".
    I now know 'who' I am and it is a casual housekeeper. Thank you for the new to me ID.
    Old 06-16-2019, 06:22 AM

We do the best we can. My friend says if you can see a mistake from 10 feet away and driving at 10 miles an hour you should fix it it not it is fine. Just enjoy the doing each time you rip it out you do thin the fabric.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-16-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: remove religious statement
    Old 06-16-2019, 02:08 PM
    Power Poster

Gramajo, you are also in my prayers.