Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Peter Walsh fabric stash organization tips >
  • Peter Walsh fabric stash organization tips

• Peter Walsh fabric stash organization tips

Old 02-06-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by steelecg
    I like Peter Walsh and agree with almost everything he says - I have downsized twice and am tired of clutter. It really helps to have a friend help who is more objective and a place to take the donate pile too.
    Make sure it's a friend who likes fabric because my friend just told me all she saw was a burn pile in my stash :cry: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Old 02-06-2011, 11:45 AM

who is this person, anyway? did you ask him to declutter you?

every time i see these articles about neatening up your stash, the stash is nice, neat straight-edge pieces. mine don't look like that. how do you do that? mine have chunks cut out of the sides and pieces missing. that's why they're stash. otherwise they're fabric. also, where are the BIG pieces? did he throw out the backings and plan to rebuy them as needed? on whose nickel?
    and the in-betweens. the 3-yards, the 2-yards and even the 1-yarders. all i see are those bitty bits in tiny baskets the size of
    bagel baskets.
    did he ever love a piece so much that he HAD to have it? i would pay money to see his decluttered house. there's probably nothing personal or intimate in it except cleaning equipment.

and when he lets loose, stand back. you may be next! :lol: :lol:
    Old 02-06-2011, 12:43 PM

His house is probably big enough to hide or cover up his "clutterness".
    Old 02-06-2011, 01:00 PM

I think a lot of folks on this board were raised by moms who struggled through the depression years and did not throw away anything that could be re-purposed. My grocery buying is pure training from a woman who had to do without, and in her later years bought as though she was feeding a family of 12+. Learning to store food has served me well as we live in the country, and I can take care of my family without a local trip to a store. This thinking has carried over to building a stash and saving scraps. I cut out some hearts to make patchwork valentine sachets last night and caught myself stacking 1" scraps in a pile and musing about what I could use them for. They will go in a little plastic box and live there until I find a project for them. Maybe someday my kids will go through my stash and scratch their heads and say, "what was she saving this for?" Or maybe they will remember all the little craft projects we had fun doing on winter days and smile. Whatever, until I am gone, my stash is MINE! Hands off! ( :
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Couldn't have said it better! I know my kids will have lots of negative thoughts (already do for that matter) about how I save things that surely have another use. I admit there's a lot that surely needs to go but then comes decision making about where it should go and it just boggles my mind so I put it down. Surely as soon as it leaves, I'll find a reason that I should have saved it. My previous generations saved things and now I'm enjoying solid wood furniture, vintage linens, etc. that belonged to my great-grandparents. Thank you for teaching me value. My daughter now stores her good china in a solid oak hutch that my grandmother stored her garden supplies in! Isn't she glad we saved that? Think of all those "old" wonky quilts that we now treasure. Hope Peter Walsh is comfy under his electric blanket tonight. :roll:
    Old 02-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by illinois
    Did his program this week on OWN upset anyone except me? The daughter had called him in to declutter Mom's house and she was holding her child as hostage until Mom cleaned up the place. Mom alluded to the fact that she had her own stuff, things that had belonged in her family and besides she was a teacher who had collected many teaching aids and bulletin board materials over the years. Yes, her house was "becoming crowded" but for that daughter to dictate how her mom was going to take care of her house!!! I think there were other issues there besides the collection of stuff. The baby was still a babe in arms, I believe, so what's the deal? The place didn't look dirty, just cluttered. By the time they took out all of the plastic tubs the place looked pristine--kinda like a store--but now daughter was happy. Was mama? Dad looked stunned. Daughter learned she could dictate to her parents by withholding contact with the grandchild. Mom no longer has things that she enjoyed having, even though it was more than she might have needed. Maybe I related to her too much as I have a lifetime collection myself?
    I didn't see it and I'm glad I didn't. I'm a retired teacher who had lots of the same things. I held on to them while I was volunteering and tutoring and then when all that ended, I loaded my trunk and went around to friends (and former students of mine) and asked if there was anything they could use. They wanted it all. It's hard for a new teacher to accumulate materials because of the expense and the time involved. I did the same thing with materials from my catechism classes. Mom would have found a place for these things when the time came. In my own opinion, those people have no hearts.
    Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM

I have recently reorganized my stash. I think it looks good and DH doesn't care. I do go through occasionally and will donate fabric to quilters on here or a local charity that quilts but to destash like that would be insane. Wonder what the dear man would say about my 9 vintage machines and 2 newer ones. He'd probably make me get rid of them at which time harm would happen to him.
    Old 02-06-2011, 05:33 PM

Well, about the teaching supplies at home, I took a good look at a bunch of books I had here (teaching books not children's books) and decided they really belong at school where they'll be used. The show helped me start to declutter a space I had. I thought the daughter on the show was pretty uptight and the mother was, too. The father seemed very elderly and invisible. I bet there were interesting times in that house when the daughter was a teenager.
    Old 02-06-2011, 06:09 PM

The man is MAD I tell you , Mad!
    Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
    The man is MAD I tell you , Mad!
    I would like to get paid as much as he is for being mad!!!