Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pfaff sewing machine >
  • Pfaff sewing machine

• Pfaff sewing machine

Old 07-04-2011, 01:02 PM
    np3
    Power Poster

I read through all the posts and as always, everyone has a reason why a company is the best or the worst. We need to remember a few things.

Most newer machines are not as good as their counterpart older machines. This is true for Singer, Pfaff, Viking, Janome, Brother, etc.

You can make the same statement about cars, they don't make them like they used to. And they probably never will. They don't make things to last, they make them to be upgraded and replaced. That is how they stay in business.

I have 8 machines of various brands. And have sold or passed down several others. The older machines were always workhorses, but without the bells and whistles. The newer machines have the bells and whistles. The down side is that the newer machines will need more care and things can go wrong with them.

I love my Pfaff Expression and it is my machine of choice right now. I also love my Viking and my Singer and my Bernina, and my Baby Lock. Companies get sold all the time and often we don't even know it. Or their factories change and we never hear about it.

We all have to find that happy place where a machine gives us the features we need at the price we can afford to pay. Trying a machine out before buying is always a good idea. And finding a local dealer is better too. Just remember, how helpful a dealer is depends on that individual, NOT the manufacturer of the machine.

Good luck to you.
    Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM

I have the Pfaff 2124 I bought almost 5 years ago. It was a headache, didn't have even stitches, the embroidery didn't quite work like it should. Finally 2nd trip back to the story it was discovered the motherboard was the problem. Had to wait almost 4 months while the part was sent for. I think these parts are made in China. ?? Now the machine runs like it should. Knock on wood. I still use my old Bernina 830 I purhased over 36 years ago.
    Old 07-04-2011, 01:21 PM

I love my old Singer 401A, which was originally purchased by my husband's great aunt in the late 1950s. Together with a Singer walking foot, it can do piecing nicely, along with very nice straight line quilting. Unfortunately, it is now 50+ years old, and the motor needs replaced soon. If you want a real workhorse, this is the machine for you. Very user friendly--no computer parts and all metal.
    Old 07-04-2011, 02:02 PM

I have a 4.0, I bought it 3 years ago. I had nothing but problems with it. I took it back at least 12 times each time no difference.
    Finally I was told to take a class to learn how to use it. While taking the class several problems came up and they fixed them. They replaced the bobbin case and adjusted several things.
    Finally it is working OK. That unless you try to FMQ then it leaves loopes.
    I am not happy at all with it but at least it works most of the time.
    Old 07-04-2011, 02:47 PM

i have a Pfaff 2036 and have had for a while. It is most finicky.

I recently changed the thread from a rayon I was using to FMQ to Coats and Clarks (without thinking). The poor thing just threw up. It absolutely hates Coats and Clark thread. And not too fond of Gutermann either. Which leaves the more expensive threads.

I have apologized to it and set it aside for a little bit.

Why do I bother with it? When it is sewing there is absolutly nothing like it . The IDT guides the fabric smooth and straight. It hums and purrs and does beautiful fancy stitches.

If I could find a good used Pfaff with IDT I'd buy it in a minute(for the right price!).
    Old 07-04-2011, 03:03 PM

I have had problems with the take-up lever which has now been fixed though occasionally it unthreads in the middle of sewing. I usually find it does not like the thread I am using. I have only "played" with free motion so far but I don't think it is going to perform the way I wanted. I like certain features but wish I had kept my 23 year old Janome as well. I realise now it was ahead of its time. I should have test driven more machines but got carried away with the IDT feature which other machines now have.
    Old 07-04-2011, 04:52 PM

I can't help you. Sorry. My go-to machine is a Singer 301 which was manufactured around 1951 or 1952. No bells or whistles but I can usually solve/fix all my problems when something isn't working correctly. Usually, I find most of the problems to be operator head space error. ~~ Chris
    Old 07-04-2011, 05:06 PM

I have not seen one single post on Berninas. Does anyone have one, used one, liked it, hated it, cost, etc.?
    Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 PM

When was Pfaff sold and to whom? I have a ten year old quilting mode, 2042. It has been a very good machine...I would love a newer machine with more bells and whistles.

The problem here is/are the dealers...no competition among the brands. Each dealer's personality is unique but the same...my machine is the best, the others are horrible. Bernina just stands there and says 'here I am, fork over $12,000 for a machine and I will help you.'

Needless to say, I am reading this with great interest!
    Old 07-04-2011, 06:23 PM

I have a model 1472 which I have worn out. It has embroidery stitches on it, and I have done machine quilting on it,usually just stitch in the ditch. I have no complaints. Sorry to hear of your troubles.