Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pfaff sewing machine >
  • Pfaff sewing machine

• Pfaff sewing machine

Old 07-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Does anyone out there use a Pfaff Expression 4.0? I bought one two years ago and had multiple problems requiring 200 mile roundtrips to the dealer....he was always helpful, but he machine finally went back to the factory...but still the machine was always a royal headache and no fun....the dealer traded a new Pfaff Smarter in hopes that it would work better for me..,It is okay, but not user friendly....since i can't trade it in locally, I'm considering going back to the 4.0 (another $1500)..I would love to hear from others...are there happy owners? Thanks Hattie

Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM

I have all older Pfaff's made in Germany love mine no problems at all. so sorry you had such bad luck with yours
    Old 07-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by leaha
    I have all older Pfaff's made in Germany love mine no problems at all. so sorry you had such bad luck with yours
    me too.. I love mine.. Just an occasional visit to the Sewing machine shop for a thorough cleaning from time to time..

Good Luck..
    Old 07-03-2011, 10:05 AM

I have a newer Pfaff and really don't like it. I need to use a denim needle to piece a quilt top. If you are simply looking for something to go forward and back, consider an antique Singer, something made before 1960. I have three- they are tanks. If you want zig zag, etc, look at machines made before 1972. You'll spend much less money. If I was getting a new machine I'd go back to a Viking, but first I'd get some reviews because they may also be making junk now.
    Old 07-03-2011, 10:19 AM

I have the 2.0 and a few more Pfaffs. I love them. Although, each is different. The 2.0 has the bobbin drop on the top, the others on the underside. I like that it has 9mm stitch width, also when I tap the foot pedal the needle goes up. It all just takes getting used to, each one has different features.
    Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 AM
    Power Poster

Sorry you have to deal with that headache. Since Pfaff was sold, the quality is not what it used to be. Some machines are lemons, other just below par. I switched from being a loyal Pfaff owner to Babylocks.
    Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 AM

I got my QE 4.0 in January this year and haven't had a problem. The dealer did admit there were some issues with the model when it first came out (just like with cars, there's always some glitches here and there with new models), but those were since corrected. I have had no problems at all with mine, and I used it about 20-25 hours a week.
    Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM

Sorry to hear that - I too have two older Pfaffs made in Germany (I think the new ones are made in China) I LOVE mine. I have a 2170 and a 2048 that has been upgraded to a 2056. Maybe you should consider an older model?? Just a thought. I have to be honest I always drool on the new Pfaffs but have seen mixed reviews on them. Those who have gotten good machines love them and some who have gotten machines that have issues from the start - are sorry they bought them.
    Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Hey Betty, Is your avatar a Kaye Wood pattern?
    Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by pjaco
    I have the 2.0 and a few more Pfaffs. I love them. Although, each is different. The 2.0 has the bobbin drop on the top, the others on the underside. I like that it has 9mm stitch width, also when I tap the foot pedal the needle goes up. It all just takes getting used to, each one has different features.
    I have the 2.0 but have only had it since Sept but I love it. I have made and quilted about a dozen quilts on it so far. The first one I had issues with but after I got used to the machine all has been good.