Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • PFaff versus Bernina >
  • PFaff versus Bernina

• PFaff versus Bernina

Old 04-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Why only Pfaff and Bernina? I would look at everything. Look at the Janome's - 11 inch throat and the Brother - the NX-3000 has 11 3/4" and is amazing. Brother also makes Baby Lock, so they make an identical machine to the NX-3000 and you can get the Tru-Stitch Regulator. I have that for my HQ Sweet Sixteen and it's awesome.
    Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by vschieve
    I have a TOL Viking Diamond Deluxe and although it was assembled in China (Made in China) the major components are still put together in Switzerland. It is a wonderful machine and although I don't like the idea Made in China there isn't much in getting around it. My older Pfaff 2170 embroidery machine was made in Czechoslavakia and is also a wonderful machine. The Viking says on the machine "Engineered and Designed in Sweden" and same goes for Pfaff; they still have their German engineering. The tech at the dealer where I bought my Viking was a Bernina salesman several years ago, and he told me Bernina's were made in China before Viking and Pfaff and I don't think it is true that the TOL Bernina's are still made in Switzerland, but maybe the major components, like Viking and Pfaff are still made in their prospective factories in country of origin.

Pfaff convention is coming up in the U.S. and the newest Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.4 is going to debut. I am interested in that machine myself and am looking forward to seeing it at the LQS/dealer where they are sold.
    No Berninas are made in China. Your tech is bad mouthing competition to make a sale. Plain and simple. Or he's ignorant of the World map and atlas. LOL. The last time I looked, a factory in Thailand is not in China. It's sad when people lie and make gossip to try to make their product look better. Yes, the TOL Bernina machines are still made in Switzerland. And they can still screw them up in Switzerland just as well as those in China;> And some of the machines are now made in the Bernina owned factory in Thailand. And no, I'm not a Bernina groupie. As stated previously, my TOL machine has not been my best decision. Place of origin is a consideration, but there are many other things to consider when spending a huge amount of money. For sure, if people feed me garbage as fact, I don't put any weight in their recommendations.

And I agree with other posters. There are more than two sewing machine manufacturers on the market...

Last edited by Candace; 04-03-2013 at 09:45 PM.
    Old 04-04-2013, 04:32 AM

If you are doing anything else besides quilting - The Vikings, Pfaffs and Berninas have FEET. They seem to have a foot for everything and most work very well. I have a foot that automatically stretches elastic for sleeves on the Pfaff. I wouldn't be without it. I also do heirloom and tried doing some on an Ellegante. It had the automatic threader which made a Wing or double needle for pintucks hard to set up. Pfaff and Viking both have a foot that allows you to space for embroidery in between tucks, on the Ellegante you had to measure and mark. Once set up, the machine did sew very well.

All this can be done on any zigzag machine. I've done it. It's just that having the feet make life a lot easier.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 04-04-2013 at 04:35 AM.
    Old 04-04-2013, 06:38 AM

Default pfaff verses bernina

Originally Posted by pjsandusky
    I am looking at a new sewing machine with a long neck (10-11 in) and cannot decide between the Pfaff and the Bernina. I would love to hear from owners of long necked machines about the positives of their machines. Thanks.

pjsandusky
    I have owned a bernina and I now have two pfaff machines and loveeeeee them! I cannot say enough about pfaff. they are sooooo tough and will sew through anything. when I bought mine the owner of the store stitched through a thick peice of cow hide and two thin tin pieces and the machine just purred. that sold my hubby on the construction of the machine and I can verify after owning one for more years then I care to count that they are outstanding machines that never give you a problem.
    Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Before you decide, also try out Janome. I couldn't be happier with my 6600 ... and the 7700 and newest 8900 have even more harp space.
    In 30+ yrs of sewing and quilting, I've owned Pfaffs, Vikings and now 2 Janomes. Both Janomes have been trouble free. Can't say the same for my last Pfaff, it never sewed well despite a lot of shop adjustments. It was made in Czechoslovakia in 2006. The quality just wasn't there ...
    A lot of people still have the misconception that Viking and Pfaff machines are made in Sweden and Germany. Pfaff stopped manufacturing in Germany YEARS ago. They still advertise "German Engineering" but their production went to Asia.
    Nothing wrong with that, but from many quilters and sewers I know, very few have been happy with RECENT (2004 & newer) Pfaff and Viking models, most TOL models.

Last edited by TexasGurl; 04-04-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM

I have had Berninas for 30 years and really love them. I now have worked up to the new 830.....so very nice. I also have a good support for possible maintenance. Haven't had any yet!
    Old 04-05-2013, 12:51 PM

I have a pfaff quilt expressions 4.0 along with a Viking D1 and by far, I love my pfaff the best, love the IDT already built into the machine, no need to attach that bulky walking foot and it has all of the lovely built in stitches as well.
    Old 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    And some of the machines are now made in the Bernina owned factory in Thailand.
    I have a Thai made Bernina (430) and it is a phenomenal machine. Absolutely amazing. However, when they discontinued the 4 series, they priced me out of their brand. My next machine will probably be either a Brother or a Janome, but I don't anticipate a new machine for 10+ years...

To the OP- I think once you get to the machines that cost $2000+ they are ALL good. It is really just personal preference. The Brother Laura Ashley machine I sewed on made great stitches, had excellent harp space, and came with a butt load of accessories, and was a great price, but I didn't like how the free motion foot hopped. The Janome 7700 was fabulous for quilting but a little more than I wanted to spend. The Bernina quilted like a dream, and they threw in free embroidery for me, so despite having a smaller harp than I set out for, I was sold.

I haven't used a Pfaff, but I imagine they are much the same. All of the major brands make good machines. It just depends on what you want, and at the upper price levels (especially if you are spending more than 4k) I'd want a technician nearby!
    Old 04-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Txsuthrn
    I love my quilt expressions 4.0 pfaff
    I have had both and now have the Pfaff Creative visions and swear by it. It is really a matter of preferance. Try both before purchase. Carole
    Old 04-07-2013, 05:39 PM

I have a Pfaff 2144/2170. I love my Pfaff!