Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pfaff and Viking dealership issues! >
  • Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

• Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    According to one of the gals at Meissner's, the holding company parted ways with 28 Pfaff dealers nationwide.

I also asked about the Viking section in Joanne and was told that Viking leases (or owns) the section in the Joanne store.
    I wonder what it is about these 28 dealerships that got them dropped? Wow. Meissner's is the largest sewing machine franchise in N. CA!
    Old 09-11-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
    Originally Posted by Candace
    ... I was very suprised to see that the company that now owns both Viking and Pfaff (SVP Worldwide) basically dropped my dealership without warning and my dealership won't be selling these machines anymore!
    Note the SVP that Candace used...the S stands for Singer, which bought out the other two companies. I had noticed that Singer stopped advertising their top quality lines some time ago, and recently learned that they did that when they bought out these companies since Viking and Pfaff both have good top end products. Our local dealer told us the story at a recent guild meeting. Their store doesn't yet know how this merger will effect them.

The rep also confirmed that there are no longer any machines being made in europe...they're all made in the Far East...

I don't like that.

Any news on where Janome is being made, or Babylock?
    Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Again, Bernina is made in Switzerland. Janome, Babylock, Viking and Pfaff and all the others are now being made in Taiwan, Japan and China.

I wish there were some US only made brands that were fabulous quality. But there aren't.
    Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 PM

The Vikings that are sold in Joann's superstores are sold from a store within a store(Husqvarna Viking company store). The Viking Gallery is a dealer and offers classes and repair services.
    I used to work in the HV store in the Joann's in Austin,TX.
    As far as I know there are no plans to change this. Anything we sold in our store had to be bought from us, not Joann's; they are 2 separate entities.
    I really miss my job.
    Old 09-11-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Again, Bernina is made in Switzerland. Janome, Babylock, Viking and Pfaff and all the others are now being made in Taiwan, Japan and China.

I wish there were some US only made brands that were fabulous quality. But there aren't.
    Sigh
    Old 09-12-2010, 01:18 AM

Our JoAnn's sells Vikings. I was in the other day and was talking to the salesperson, who never seems to be actually selling anything, and she said they have classes there, htough I never see anyone taking them. They are seperate from JoAnn's. I wonder just how long they will be in our store. I can honestly say I have never seen a salesperson in there talking to anyone about sales. Granted I'm not there 24/7 but I do go in often and at different times.
    Old 09-12-2010, 02:02 AM

NO Phaff will not be sold at JoAnn's. Viking made a deal for JoAnn's to only sell Vikings.
    They are wonderfull machines and are not made in China..... the top of the lines are made in Sweeden.
    Viking bought Phaff out amd moved them to Sweeden also.... BUT all lower machines are made in China and Tiwan.
    Viking does not make Phaff nor the other way around.

Here ther has been a Viking Dealer in the same store for over 20 years. An across the street is the Viking in Joann's so there fore The Phaff dealer can't sell Vikings in his store.... but he has 12 stores and sells Vikings in the next town.

Everyone has cut back with the economy and Viking realizes not everyone can buy or even want the top of the lines so they have Phaff and Singer now.....

Singer did not buy Viking.

I love all my Vikings, through the years I have had 7 of them. Along with an Elna air electronic, and Nechi Logical I still have and a few singers.... Whe we was growing us that is what we heard and they used to be great machines now I wouldn't buy one. I worked for Singer in Colorado at SewFro and had 3 of the new embroidery machine go ca poot.... they was a piece of junk, it was just a JOB to surive I hated selling them and got another job as soon as one came up....

I worked for Viking for 20 years.... and again I will say I love the machines.... Sad how some rumors get started andaway they go. I have a White surger 20+ years old and it is still great but I am looking at the New 7 spool BabyLock.... I go for the best no matter the name. I could sau some negative things about some of the other machines but we do not all drive a FORD. And we don't all live in the city.

I would never trade off a Viking for any Janome, from what I have seen thery is no comparison. Even my 20 year old Viking I would put next to the Janomie's I have seen...I know a lot of people have them and again the Ford/Chev thing. You need to buy and get what you like and does what you need it to do for you. A lot of time it is price points that is part of the decission. But there is another brand out there that is a higher price point but can't touch the Viking usibility....

Viking had so many lines and levels of each line there is a price point for all. Just depends on what you are going to use it for.

I know because I was in the business but the latest and biggest sales lines is it is a quilting machine..... DAHHHHHHH you can piece on any machine and it dosen't make it a quilting machine.
    But many are sold as such then try quilting on it LOLOL no way... but you pieced on it just fine.... BIG HUGE diff between piecing and quilting... you need a long big space to roll the quilt...
    Sorry but I have heard from this board complaints like that.
    Must of been a man that never quilted who came up with that line LOL Ok enuffffff sorry I got so long winded... and hope I didn't step on any ones toes....

I like to be nice and not complain. Life is to short BE HAPPY LOL

Hope all have a great week, happy sewing. Blessings to all

ConnieF
    Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 AM

I agree.My Bernina dealer is always there for me.I like knowing a ph call will usually give me any help needed.Just recently,my machine would sew a few stitches & stop.With visions of a 100mile (rd trip)drive in mind,DH called the dealer, explained what it was doing & she said "it must be in bobbin winding mode?" It was & I felt so silly! It'd been quite a while since we needed to call, but the CS of a good dealer can't be beat.IMO,the cost is worth it for that type service.

Originally Posted by RDM
    I believe in dealers. I found my machine was well taken care of by dealer who knew it best, plus had great new owner classes. I'd hate to see that go away. I'd travel to get that kind of service. This probably explains why my dealer started carrying multiple brands along with Pfaff outside the parent company. Very concerning for us and our special dealers.
    Old 09-12-2010, 02:26 AM

Has anyone noticed that Fons and Porter and Eleanor Burns are now using Baby Lock machines.
    Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 AM

Yes, I have noticed that - 'was wondering what was going on.....does this mean the prices on BL are going to go up now?

Originally Posted by Babs194068
    Has anyone noticed that Fons and Porter and Eleanor Burns are now using Baby Lock machines.