Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pfaff and Viking dealership issues! >
  • Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

• Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I had actually mentioned this in my PDA and here is the wording in the newsletter:
    "Pfaff and Viking were purchased by Kohlberg and Company, an American equity firm that also owned Singer Sewing Machine Company. Singer, Viking and Pfaff then became SVP Worldwide and moved the manufacturing and distribution of Pfaff and Viking to China."

My thought: No wonder the quality of Pfaff is going down.
    I can attest to it because of the 3 Pfaffs I currently own, 2 are the old German standard and one is obviously not. It isn't anything I can really quantify but when you are used to one set of quality, you notice when it changes. Don't get me wrong - it is still a good machine, just not for me. I plan to sell it and keep the older 2.
    I have a Pfaff 2124 I got almost 5 years ago. It had stitch issues last winter. I took it into Spokane to the repair shop, and then had to wait several months while the motherboard was ordered and it took forever for that part to come in. Wonder if they had to order from China???? Repair cost over $325. That is a lot of fabric I couldn't buy. That is sad to hear about these machines now being made elsewhere. I guess where the labor is the cheapest and generally that means quality goes right out the window.
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by polly13
    Okay, now I REALLY don't know what to do! I have a Pfaff 7570 which I purchased in the '70s. Though I can embroider with it, I have been toying with the idea to buy a Creative 4.0, making the embroidering much easier, and still use it for quilting, regular sewing, etc. Should I throw that idea out the window? A friend says her Viking embroiders well. Bernina dealer is 90 minutes away. Ohhhhh what to do? Any words of wisdom?
    Have you tested out the Creative 4? Do you like it? Have you googled or searched here for a review and feedback?
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 AM

Not sure why it is thought that Vikings are made in China , when they are manufactured in Sweden. Go to the web site it is the first statment made "developed and manufctured in Sweden".
    Viking has owned Pfaff for about 10 years.
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    Not sure why it is thought that Vikings are made in China , when they are manufactured in Sweden. Go to the web site it is the first statment made "developed and manufctured in Sweden".
    Viking has owned Pfaff for about 10 years.
    Because Viking closed most of their manufacturing plants and their lower lines of sewing machines aren't made in Sweden anymore.
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 AM

when I bought my first computer S.M, I purposely bought Kenmore because I could get in/home/service for a good rate/ayear...Sears discontinued that very suddenly so my next machine was not a kenmore LOL...we do have 2 juki dealerships within a 35mile radius
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Maybe this is why my Viking Dealer recently dropped Bernina and added Baby Lock. They said weren't selling enough Bernina's. I now notice the Baby Lock are up front and the Viking are in the back. This is a dealer who always raved about Viking. I have a Baby Lock Quilters Pro, but Viking is still my favorite.
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Does anyone else have a dealership in their area, in this group of 28, that were dropped by Viking and Pfaff?
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 AM

None of us can feel complacent ,regardless of the brand sewing machine we own.I had a Viking that I liked,but the dealer went out of business less than 3 mos after selling the V to me. No classes & a bare minimum manual.Trying to find a dealer to honor the warranty was useless.
    A friend loved it & offered me a good price. Not what it was worth, but without a warranty, was lucky to sell it.

With all machines being made in Asia,from computers to TVs,to sewing equip.......we just have to deal with it as best we can.For anyone with a great dealer (I have one) they're worth their wt in gold :-)
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Viking has disappeared from my local JoAnn's and they now carry Singer exclusively.
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:41 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by moonwolf23

Any news on where Janome is being made, or Babylock?
    I was told the last time I went into my local sewing machine repair shop that he quit selling Janome machines. The reason:
    they quit making the top end machine and opted to make only the ones that they sell in discount and dept stores. He feels very strong about selling only quality products, so, he switched to Juki.

So, there goes the good rep that Janome has had over the past decade, too. I own several, but based on his input, wont buy another one.