Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • piano keys borders >
  • piano keys borders

• piano keys borders

Old 10-02-2017, 04:07 AM

Aha! This one looks promising-i need pictures to follow!
    http://bluemountainquiltersguild.ca/...Piano-Keys.pdf
    Old 10-02-2017, 05:04 AM

I like a variety of widths so that when I get to the cornerstones, I can cut them down to size. I also make them wider than usual and cut them down to the width I want. Alternate directions of seams keeps them from curving too much. If you want to make them fast using the loop method then cutting them apart makes the pattern the same.
    Old 10-02-2017, 05:42 AM

If you cut them at random widths then it won't matter what size the last one would be. It'd blend right in.
    Old 10-02-2017, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
    Thank you Susie! She makes it look so easy....and I guess, its actually just a motered corner....with the strips nesting...
    Old 10-02-2017, 06:40 AM

I have made piano key borders both random & same sized, the trick I used with the same sized ones (of course I did the math to get it close HA) if I only needed to take up a little extra I just randomly made the seams abit bigger, skipping every other seam so I didn't take to much off any single piece (so it wouldn't so noticeable) until it fit.
    Hope this is a little clearer than mud.
    Old 10-02-2017, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2
    By sewing in alternate directions. Sew the first two strips, the add the next and sew from the side you just finished. Keeps the completed row from bowing.
    I strip pieced mine, which gave me a repeating pattern, but it was okay- I had enough colors that none were close together. Are you going to miter the corners? That's the tricky part.
    This was in answer to a different question. This tells how to keep the strips from bowing. She was asking how to end the rows of strips when adding them to the quilt. Sometimes there is an inch or so more of quilt and sometimes an inch or so more of piano keys.
    You can make a few seams larger until it is the right length. If it is one inch too long, make at least four seams one eighth inch deeper. Do this on random strips here and there in the row. You won't even notice that eighth inch missing from those pieces. If the row is too short, add one more key and proceed to make it the right length as above.
    Good luck.
    Old 10-02-2017, 12:52 PM
    Power Poster

I like smaller ones to finish at 1.5" and I have done some where I mitered the corners. If not, then I put in a solid cornerstone or patterned corner stone.
    Old 10-02-2017, 02:08 PM

I like to make mine dif sizes..going from finished 1" to finished 2 ". Because the fabric will be on bias I starch mine really good..so stiff it will not move...cut the width and then do a stay stitch on each side 1/8" from edge. This will keep all the fabric straight and will not get wonky.
    This is what I tell my students when they are working with any pieced border/pieced blocks that is bias.
    Old 10-02-2017, 06:38 PM

I usually cut my pieces the same width. Then if they don't fit, I go back and sew a slightly bigger (or smaller and unpick) seam allowance until they do fit. Sometimes it only needs 3 seam allowances adjusted. Sometimes I'll adjust every third or fifth seam allowance -- Whatever it takes to get it to the right length. I want to adjust the opposite border the same, so the quilt doesn't go wonky. The difference is so slight, you can't tell by looking at it.
    Old 10-03-2017, 04:26 AM
    Power Poster

Glad you brought this up. Lots of good info. Thanks to all.