Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Piecer? or Finisher? >
  • Piecer? or Finisher?

• Piecer? or Finisher?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:49 PM
    Banned

I am the same way...and I wish I could say that I only had four tops to finish....I can't even count. LOL
    Old 07-03-2010, 08:02 PM

ok, well you are making better progress than me for most then.
    I have 2 quilts ready for the quilter. But the rest of mine are stil in the block stage not even the top stage. I have 2 sets of blocks here from exchanges on the board I need to get made into tops SOON and one that I started making blocks for WAY BACK but haven't got back to them, I want to get it done and made into a throw size for hubby's chair. I am right now finishing up the blocks for the boomerang exchange and when those are complete I will have 34 more to be put into tops these will probably eventually become donation quilts for a childrens safe house here and then there are those star blocks I'm collecting to make a quilt for my brother's DAV chapter to raffle....wow who has time to quilt? Plus I don't have a machine so I either have to send them all out and have them done (expensive) or tie them as my arthritis won't allow me to wrestle them on my machine. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Muriel
    Old 07-03-2010, 08:13 PM

I'd rather piece 'em than finish 'em. Besides, I don't have the money to send them out to be quilted.
    Maybe someday...
    Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere
    Is is just me or does anyone else LOVE TO PIECE together blocks and tops but really not into putting them together into quilts/finished projects?

When I start a new project, I can work on it every day with enthusiasm! After the top is together, I run out of interest in getting them finished. I have about 4 right now - just waiting.

Anyone else there?
    Anyone else been there and figured out how to get through it?

HELP!!!
    You're a TOPPER !! There are a lot of US out there ! I always preferred to plan and piece and see the blocks & the top come together ... the actual quilting and binding were my least fav parts. Now that I am much more adept at machine quilting, I enjoy the quilting too. For some reason I still find it hard to get bindings done. Keep practicing your quilting ... but if you decide it just isn't for you, find a good quilter to send your tops to !! :)
    Old 07-04-2010, 01:31 AM

I don't like to piece - but I love to hand quilt! It was such a wunderful discovery for me when I saw pics of wholecloths and strippies - it's possbile to make a quilt without piecing! What an enjoyment!
    Old 07-04-2010, 04:18 AM

I'm definitely a piecer/appliquer and not a finisher. I have three or four quilts in pillow cases in my closet now that just need bindings.
    Old 07-04-2010, 04:23 AM

I love to piece the blocks. Dont mind the machine quilting
    but sashing is a drag for me.
    Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 AM

I like the actual quilting the best of all. I only piece out of necessity. I am the Queen of Cheater's Cloth. I can make any preprinted panel look like it was carfully hand pieced or appliqued."not". I love collecting fabric and the Linus Project gives me lots of excuses to keep buying, especially kid oriented fabrics. Most of them I make are just a lively kid print with a flannel back and basic machine quilting with a decorative stitch and varigated thread. At this point I have made several hundred of them. I have at least 12 of them ready for this month's contribution. I am a handquilter for hire when someone is willing to pay. I always have a handquilting project in progress that is portable to take to Bee or on our cruises etc. I will piece when absolutely necessary and tear my hair out when I have to assemble someone else's work.
    Old 07-04-2010, 05:32 AM

I have to be a topper also, I am sure it is frustrating for the one's waiting for their quilt................ :oops:
    Old 07-04-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
    I'd rather piece 'em than finish 'em. Besides, I don't have the money to send them out to be quilted.
    Maybe someday...
    I have a few beauties that would be so much prettier quilted but...maybe some day. I'd rather piece than sandwich etc.