Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Piecing in order >
  • Piecing in order

• Piecing in order

Old 02-10-2014, 04:09 PM
    Power Poster

I lay the blocks out on the floor or on the design wall if it's big enough. I print out a table that starts with 1A, 1B, 1C... 2A, 2B, 2C,... and progresses through all the numbers and letters needed for the quilt. I cut the labels out and pin them to the upper left corner of each block, so on the floor I see 1A, 1B, 1C,...across the first row, 2A, 2B, 2C,... across the second row, etc. Then I stack each row up with the A column on top and start sewing. As I add a block, I take the label off that block, but I leave it on the first block in the row. When I'm done with the rows, I have a label on the first block of each row, and it's time to start sewing the rows together. If the quilt is huge I might sew it in quarters (row by row in each quarter, then all the rows together for that quarter) but the method still works.
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM

I use the same method as ManiacQuilter2 (A-1, A-2, A-3, B-1, B-2, etc.) except I write on 1" scraps of paper and pin to each block..
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Since I tend to lay out a whole design before sewing into blocks, I have a lot of pieces to keep track of. I'd be afraid of just stacking the pieces as rows. So, I give each fabric a name and abbreviation (like NS for navy star), and record each one where it goes on a rough drawing. Then, I pick up each row in order, labeling the pile with a number on top. As I go, I name the fabrics out loud and try, anyway, to make sure the diagram is right. Sometimes the pile of pieces and the diagram don't agree, so I just skip over that part until later, so I can figure out which of the two is right. Or if either is. I use the drawing again as I sew, putting in arrows for the direction of the seams, etc. I would be leery of keeping a whole pile of pieces in the right order without a backup plan.

hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:35 PM

Well this time, because I'm feeling lazy & there are only 42 blocks, I decided to take a photo & piece the first two blocks of each row. Then I'll press & piece the next two, & so on. There are six columns & 7 rows.
    Old 02-10-2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by love 2 sew
    Well this time, because I'm feeling lazy & there are only 42 blocks, I decided to take a photo & piece the first two blocks of each row.
    Hmm, a photo would solve the problem of having the diagram and the stack of pieces not agreeing. Thanks for the idea. I still need a diagram, taped to a cardboard, for assembling, so I can stick a pin in where I am working. But the photo might really help, too.

Hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 02-10-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jo C
    I make one blck to use as a reference. Then i stack all my pieces in the block pattern and chain stitch. The reference block helps me to be sure i get everything in the right place.
    I do it the same way as Jo C: make one block as my trial run, then chain stitch several like pieces together to make 4-6 blocks at a time.
    Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM

Someone on this board mentioned using the number and letter beads and safety pins to mark blocks and rows. If I have lots of pieces I may use a lot of ideas mentioned. I also made a flannel covered piece of foam core board to lay out my block pieces on to use next to my sewing machine like a mini design wall.
    Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM
    Power Poster

I forgot about that tip sewmom! I think I will try and get myself some of those beads. Know where to get them?

I usually use the post it's I slice through them to make four sections from one regular sized note and number and letter them for rows. They do need a small pin to hold them into place, but the color and size are great.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-10-2014 at 06:31 PM.
    Old 02-10-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i have tried to do it EB's way, but have never been able to get it right
    Same here. I always mess something up. I do it the way Jo C does.
    Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM
    yel

i would stack row 1 and 2 .....sew them together then stack 3 sew it to row 2 stack and sew 4....etc leave them all chained together ....just cutting after the bottom row ...when done the blocks will all be sewn one direction ...i would lay it out and see if everything is in place then fold and sew the other direction .......kinda looks like swiss cheese but if i have something in the wrong place ....or turned wrong i just have to remove 2 sides and re sew instead of taking it out and on 4 sides and trying to get it back in that hole ...this also saves cutting all those blocks apart ...or loosing them