Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Piecing in order >
  • Piecing in order

• Piecing in order

Old 02-11-2014, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom
    Someone on this board mentioned using the number and letter beads and safety pins to mark blocks and rows. If I have lots of pieces I may use a lot of ideas mentioned. I also made a flannel covered piece of foam core board to lay out my block pieces on to use next to my sewing machine like a mini design wall.
    I bought the number and letter beads at Hobby Lobby
    Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 AM

I cut row by row. I stitch block by block, row by row. Then I label (post-it notes with a pin) the row and hang it up (or lay it out on my "design board = our bed).
    Old 02-11-2014, 04:28 AM
    Power Poster

I have been webbing the blocks together. On Bonnie Hunter's Blog she has a tutorial how to do this. It's fast and almost fool proof.
    Old 02-11-2014, 05:32 AM

In answer to the question about the beads, I believe I got mine at Michaels. I waited til I had a coupon because they were about $5.99 a bag. There are a lot of beads in the bag.
    Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 AM

I have a TV tray I covered with batting and cotton duck. I sit it beside me at the sewing machine with each block laid out just as it should look finished. Then I can just pick up the ones I need. Now I need another one made so I can press on one side of me and pick up block pieces from the other. I am a press as you go kind of quilter.

On the design board, once I have the design laid out the way I want it. I use those round tags from the office supply store for pricing things. I chose I bright orange so I could see them. Then I number the tags and stick them on the blocks in the right order. They do not leave behind a sticky residue. But stay on fairly well. A life saver on a large throw I just did that had 16 square blocks made from Jelly rolls; sashed and set on point. No Pattern, well kind of. I bought the pattern but when I read the directions you were supposed to make the quilt as straight blocks than cut the whole quilt on the diagonal a couple of times and reconstruct it. Not my cup of tea. So I used their idea and made up my own directions.

Last edited by Silver Needle; 02-11-2014 at 05:45 AM.
    Old 02-11-2014, 06:53 AM

I do it exactly like Yel does. It keeps everything where it is supposed to be, all connected. I learned it on a Craftsy class, and it really saves a lot of ripping.
    Old 02-11-2014, 08:48 AM

So many great ideas it'll take me a while to digest all of them. Thank you
    Joan
    Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 AM

I take mine off the design wall by row. Start from the left and place it on top and then the next one goes under it and continue with the row. After the first row is sewn together I will take a small safety pin and pin it in the top left block so that will always know that is my first row. Then work on the rest of the rows one row at a time and will sew it to the bottom of my rows. Hope this makes sense.
    Old 02-11-2014, 04:43 PM

I use cheap paper plates. I put the whole block on one, or if is like aDWR, I will lay the pieces for the arc out on one, the melons out, etc. on one. That way I can stack the paper plates up if I need to put it aside and go to something else. And it never fails, we always have to go to something till the quilt gets together.
    Old 02-12-2014, 03:43 AM

Once I start sewing blocks together to make rows, I just use quilting pins in the upper left hand corner of the row. First row gets one, second gets two, etc. Helps me remember if the cat decides to play hide n seek on the quilt.