Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Piecing in order >
  • Piecing in order

• Piecing in order

Old 02-12-2014, 06:03 AM

I use a pice of batting same size as block and pin on . This way I can move it about to other places.
    Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Ha! The key words, "efficient manner." My opinion: efficient manner is whatever scheme avoids the " 'Oops! and ripping manner.' " For me - hot off the design board. One at a time.

Pat
    Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by scrapinmema
    I take mine off the design wall by row. Start from the left and place it on top and then the next one goes under it and continue with the row. After the first row is sewn together I will take a small safety pin and pin it in the top left block so that will always know that is my first row. Then work on the rest of the rows one row at a time and will sew it to the bottom of my rows. Hope this makes sense.
    this is also how I do it. My design wall is right beside my machine so that is pretty easy to pick up the blocks and sew them. I also sew each row together as I finish sewing the blocks together and them put it back on the design wall so as not to lose my place. I can not seem to be able to keep the blocks in order if I stack them in piles.
    Old 02-12-2014, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom
    Someone on this board mentioned using the number and letter beads and safety pins to mark blocks and rows. If I have lots of pieces I may use a lot of ideas mentioned. I also made a flannel covered piece of foam core board to lay out my block pieces on to use next to my sewing machine like a mini design wall.
    I use a lot of these methods depending on what the block is that I am sewing. I really like this suggestion also.
    Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 AM
    Power Poster

I don't have a design board, and there is no way I could get down on the floor and get up again without a lot of help. I use my queen size bed, since I use a corner of my bedroom as my sewing area, and I will label sticky notes or pieces of paper pinned to each block with the row # and I try to go left to right with the blocks, and I don't take the papers off until the entire top is pieced.
    Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Have you seen the way that Eleanor Burns does it?? She stack them always sew them in a row. I prefer the good old take a scrap and place a number on it. I sometimes list thing as A1, A2 A3....... in a row and the next row gets B1, B2, B3. Great way to use small scraps cutting them into 1 inch squares.
    This has been my method of marking blocks/rows to keep them in order.I do this on my design wall also.
    Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 AM

I live in a manufactured home, and they never have large wall space, so I don't have a design wall, so I just lay them out on the floor, then use my little invention to keep everything organized.
    I needed a way to keep things in order as I made a biscuit quilt, and wanted to keep things 'randomized', so I came up with the idea of cutting pieces of art foam into 1"x2" rectangles, punched a hole in them, and keep them in a quart Baggie, write on them with a sharpie, and use quilters safety pins to attach them as needed. Ta da! Now I can make any labels I need for organizing my work. I used an old blade in my rotary cutter, and a ruler to cut up several different colored pieces of art foam, so I can color code my markers. I can label rows, columns, block order, whatever. Best of all they are cheap and adaptable. Works for me.
    Old 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C
    I make one blck to use as a reference. Then i stack all my pieces in the block pattern and chain stitch. The reference block helps me to be sure i get everything in the right place.
    This is what I do, too. Although when I made a log cabin, I had a drawing I'd made of the block pinned to the wall over my sewing machine, with the strips numbered so I could make sure I sewed the logs in the right order.
    Old 02-12-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jo C
    I make one blck to use as a reference. Then i stack all my pieces in the block pattern and chain stitch. The reference block helps me to be sure i get everything in the right place.
    What Jo C said, it works the best for me as well. I've tried some of the other ways but always come back to making one as reference and then laying out the stacks in the shape of the block and chain stitching them.
    Old 02-12-2014, 12:27 PM

I number each row.Then I number each block, say that each row has 5 blocks I will the in each left corner pin (1-1),(1-2,(1-3),(1-4),(1-5) and the second row I will , will start with( 2-1),(2-2),(2-3), do you see where I am going with this you do that with every row, I just use the little pastie notes. goed luck sarah