Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Piecing? Quilting? or both? >
  • Piecing? Quilting? or both?

• Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Old 07-07-2012, 03:20 AM

I enjoy it all...even the binding because its finished.
    Old 07-07-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
    I'm just curious, how many are like me and ONLY like to quilt? I'm so happy when I'm sitting at my quilting machine, moving fabric around and turning something "pretty" into something "amazing"! (at least in my mind, anyway!) I do buy my quilt tops or use "cheater" because I don't enjoy buying fabrics, cutting or piecing at all!

How many of you enjoy the process of making a quilt top and finding the perfect fabrics and patterns? Carefully cutting hundreds of pieces of material into dozens of shapes and following each direction perfectly (or perhaps coming up with your own pattern!) and producing a work of art? But then either suffer thru tying or quilting to get a finished quilt? Or hire someone else to finish it for you?

And how many of you love it all (except basting, of course Lol)?
    YOU & I need to be working together!!!!!
    I do NOT like quilting (I fight it or it fights me!!!!), but I do LOVE picking out the PERFECT fabric with the PERFECT pattern (I LOVE to FEEL fabric, because it FEELS SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD and it lets you know what it wants to be when it grows up!!!!!).
    Machine quilting doesn't come easy to me at all. I spend more time stopping, starting, ripping out and it ALWAYS looks like I've made a MESS (like when the timing is out on your sewing machine). At least that's what I feel like my quilting looks like.
    Too bad we live so far apart!!!
    Happy Sewing!
    Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 AM

I love piecing a quilt top. Touching/choosing the fabric, choosing just the right pattern. And seeing it all come together into a wonderful quilt top. I have no interest in learning to LAQ, I send my quilts out to be quilted.
    Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 AM

I love it all, too. Seems like such a fun challenge to me to start with scraps and pieces, (or bolts of fabric) and create a quilt. Once I do that I love quilting it, and binding it. And my favorite is BUYING fabric, like an addiction. Buy it and then figure out what you may do with it. LOL
    Old 07-07-2012, 08:19 AM

I love the whole process I am spoiled by having a long arm machine in my house but that aside I love the whole process
    Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 AM

Haven't got around to the quilting yet but I do love the piecing.
    Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 AM
    Power Poster

I love the entire process, from finding that just right fabric, often with no particular pattern in mind, and piecing the tops is also fun - seeing the quilt go from an idea to a finished top. I would just like to find a way to have the "sandwiching" quilt fairy come in at night so that I can wake up the next morning, or even a day or more later, and have the quilt ready for quilting. Guess that's why I have so many UFO's in my sewing room. I love taking large pieces of fabric, cutting them up into smaller pieces, then taking those smaller pieces, making them one large piece for someone's bed or just a quilt to cuddle under. Are there any sandwiching fairies out there????
    Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM

I really enjoy looking at other peoples' work. Making a quilt takes so much time. It is not the same as making a dress or skirt. I guess I like instant gratification or at least several hours not months.
    Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM

I have grown to love the piecing and cutting. To see it all come together in the perfect points etc. I will be getting a long arm soon so hopefully I will like it as much as the putting together
    Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Default piecing

I like the piecing, I love to buy material and if I didn't make it in to quilts I wouldn't have an excuse to purchase it.