Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • pincushion filling >
  • pincushion filling

• pincushion filling

Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 AM
    Banned

I use emery sand that I purchased on ebay at a reasonable price.
    Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 AM

I have and constantly use a pincushion that is just about 100 years old. According to what I have been told, it is filled with hair, metal shavings, and some sort of grit particles. I cannot get over how tightly it is stuffed - like a rock. The fabric is, I think, upholstery fabric. I would think that by this time fabric or thread would have let go and created leaks somewhere, but it hasn't. It must be well lined. I have used it and used it so someone did a good job.

Using it makes me feel at one with the other women in my family. I knew a few of my great grandmother's sisters, my grandmother, my aunt, and my mother. The cushion is a link to them as well as the ones I missed knowing. My dad died at 90 and remembered seeing it going to sewing get togethers. And the pincushion is a link to him too. He used it after mother died.

I hope someone in the next generation sews and the pincushion continues to serve as a link for all of us. I have fun thinking of all the quilts and garments, and household items and children's toys and curtains and, and, and that my pincusion participated in making. Something as humble as a pincusion.

Pat
    Old 09-30-2013, 07:25 AM

I use lizard litter
    Old 09-30-2013, 07:45 AM

Bags of sand can be bought at local nurseries very inexpensively. Sand is the best because it sharpens the pins and needles as you poke them into the cushion.
    Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 AM

My aunt made me a pin cushion over 30 years ago using my hair for the filling. It is still good today and the oil in the hair helps keep the pins sharp.
    Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by judykay
    I want to make some pincushions but am not sure what to fill them with to keep the needles sharp? I am sure some one on this board knows the answer, it is the first place I come when I need to find out something.
    I used to use sand. Kind of messy. Now I use 4-0 steel wool in the TOP third and batt for the rest. Keeps pins and needles sharp without the mess.
    Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM

I read that flax seed can be used. Haven't tried it but bought some to use in Dr. Oz smoothies and can't stand the taste so maybe I'll try it in a pin cushion.
    Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM

This is what I do and the way I make them. I really like the results as it gives weight too to the pincushion and it doesn't flop around.

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
    The new filling seems to be crushed walnut shells that can be purchased at a bird/pet store. I bought some but have not used them as yet. To keep them from falling out while hand sewing the pin cushion closed, place a piece of batting at the closure.
    Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 AM

The thought is Poly will eventually dull your pins, walnut shells are bad because of allergy problems and aren't all that good for your pins. Sand is OK but those little holes will cause sand to leak out at some point. Fine Steel Wool you buy at a Hardware store seems to work the best. I've had no complaints and your pins will get very sharp.
    Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 AM
    Power Poster

I know there are a variety of "fillers" for pin cushions, my Mom swore by using hair because of the lanolin in the hair it would keep the needles sharp. I don't know if that is feasible today, but I've asked my hairdresser to save my hair when I get it cut. Now if I can only get the pincushions made. LOL.