Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • "Pinning" QB Members Quilts on Pinterest >
  • "Pinning" QB Members Quilts on Pinterest

• "Pinning" QB Members Quilts on Pinterest

Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM

I would take it as a compliment if my work was pinned (not likely) but I would also want the person to give credit where credit is due. Until I joined here I had no idea the background/history of quilt patterns was so carefully tracked. It makes sense, I just never thought about it. There is a lot of effort involved in creating new patterns.

I think most people are pretty honest and have good intentions. It's only a few that spoil it for the rest. I don't say or post anything on the internet that I wouldn't say in front of a room full of people. Forums are here for people to share their ideas with everyone that's interested, it's not a private conversation.

My 2 cents,
    Rodney
    Old 11-08-2013, 02:35 PM
    RST

IS there someplace here at QB where the rationale for not allowing watermarked photos is explained? I'm just curious.

I guess there are a couple of alternatives.

You could routinely place a placard with your name or logo on your quilt and actually photograph it with the quilt. OR get yourself into every photo of your work -- heh-- that would stop people from wanting to pin my quilts, I think. Someone can crop your sign or your face out if they want, but it does identify your work.

Alternatively, you can choose to post photos on another site, such as Flickr or Photobucket and then link to that site, though I doubt that would be popular, nor would you be as likely to get feedback from QB members.

To answer the OP -- I think it's a compliment when someone pins your work. Doesn't bother me at all.

What does bother me is when someone take a design I created, mails me for a pattern or tutorial (there isn't one, since I did it improvizationally) and then asks lots of detailed questions about construction methods and measurments, etc, only to go and publish all that I gave them -- freely, as their own pattern, which they charge $12 for. That did bother me.
    Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by RST
    You could routinely place a placard with your name or logo on your quilt and actually photograph it with the quilt. .
    That's the same as watermarking. They'd take it down. It's considered "self-promotion". Apparently you can't label your quilts as yours on this forum. All of my pics have the watermark of our blog so that anyone who sees it knows where to find more information on the quilt, and they don't allow that. Although it's not in their "rules", per se. It says your POSTS can't mention your blog. It doesn't say anything about watermarking pics. Hence, I won't post pics here. I mostly just lurk and answer a few questions.

Hey, it's their playground. Gotta play by their rules.

Last edited by cindi; 11-08-2013 at 03:21 PM.
    Old 11-08-2013, 03:18 PM
    Power Poster

I wouldn't even know where or how to look for pinterest, or link them together or anything like that. The amount of stuff I don't know could fill the World Book!

What would be really cool would be that if your picture is pinned, a pin button would show on your picture or thread so you know about it. I think it would be nice to know that your work is being appreciated by others.
    peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 11-08-2013 at 03:22 PM.
    Old 11-08-2013, 03:30 PM

I have found a few of my quilts that got "pinned" onto Pinterest. I found it flattering that someone like it enough to want to remember it.

As for the other topic that found its way here... I really wish the moderators would alter the rule on watermarking or otherwise labeling our quilt photos. With so many clipping our quilt photos .. and who know where or how they are being used.... at minimum we should be able to Label our work, so no matter where it goes ... it has our name ( board name or any other name). I think this rule of removing photos with watermarks will inhibit and deter some from posting... with the results being less participation ... which is contrary to why the board exists. Just my thoughts.
    I can tell you I have not posted photos since I experienced having a post taken down because of the watermark.
    Old 11-08-2013, 04:01 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by AndiR
    I also don't mind people pinning as long as I get credit for the photo. I just had a thread deleted from here last night because I had watermarked my photos. Didn't know we couldn't do that. I won't post any photos here any longer either....
    Originally Posted by RST
    IS there someplace here at QB where the rationale for not allowing watermarked photos is explained? I'm just curious. ...
    Originally Posted by cindi
    … Apparently you can't label your quilts as yours on this forum. ….
    Originally Posted by Lori S
    ... I really wish the moderators would alter the rule on watermarking or otherwise labeling our quilt photos. ….

It IS permitted to put your name on your photos. It is NOT permitted to put your business name/website on your photos. The Community Guidelines state that members who have a business must participate as a regular member and not promote their business.
    Old 11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
    Power Poster

Ditto what she said!
    Originally Posted by Tartan
    Once anything is posted, it is out there. Always assume that it will go public. I don't Pinterest because QB is addictive enough.
    Old 11-08-2013, 04:49 PM
    RST

So if you just put your name, Jane Doe as a watermark on your photo, that's ok? But not Jane Doe Custom Quilts Inc. That I can understand.

But then there is the fine line of blogs. I have a blog which is not at all monetized. I have no affiliates, I have no sponsors, I don't sell my stuff or anyone else's. It's just a blog where I write about quilts and quilting and why I like quilts. If I put my completely non-monetized blog name on my photos (which I plan to do) then is it ok to post them here? To my mind, my blog which does not make money in any way is different from a blog where someone is selling or linking or getting money for hits.
    Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by RST
    So if you just put your name, Jane Doe as a watermark on your photo, that's ok? But not Jane Doe Custom Quilts Inc. That I can understand.

But then there is the fine line of blogs. I have a blog which is not at all monetized. I have no affiliates, I have no sponsors, I don't sell my stuff or anyone else's. It's just a blog where I write about quilts and quilting and why I like quilts. If I put my completely non-monetized blog name on my photos (which I plan to do) then is it ok to post them here? To my mind, my blog which does not make money in any way is different from a blog where someone is selling or linking or getting money for hits.
    Nope. I've had two pics deleted and ours is just a simple blog, non-monetized. They said it was self-promotion.
    Old 11-08-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    It IS permitted to put your name on your photos. It is NOT permitted to put your business name/website on your photos. The Community Guidelines state that members who have a business must participate as a regular member and not promote their business.
    So if our blog isn't a business and doesn't sell anything we can put our blog watermark on our pics?